• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Single switch for solo + ensemble strings?

Share/Bookmark

One switch for solo + ensemble strings?

I am still trying to figure out the use of keyswitches, which I understand in basic theory but don't find completely explained in any one place, nor my specific question anyplace.

I need to be able to do an extremely common orchestration procedure: using Sibelius, I want to control first and second violins, violas, celli and bass each from single staves. I will switch occasionally from unmuted solo to ensemble with mutes. I will need other switches (trill, tremolo, etc) for other pieces.

Is it possible to combine (on the same staff--but not at the same time) solo and ensemble strings with any extant keyswitch? The switch with all the articulations is the FULL item (no solos), and the solo switch contains no ensemble. If not, how do I do this without creating separate staves for solo and ensemble strings? Same question for winds and brass.

Re: Single switch for solo + ensemble strings?

I don't know Sibelius, but in Finale you would either put solos in one layer and tuttis in another layer of the same staff or define expressions to switch patches. Wouldn't something like this be feasible in Sibelius?

Doug,
    I think there has been an earlier thread on this. Bottom line, as I recall, was that this cannot be done in Sib. A single staff in Sib can be directed to only a single midi port/channel. Keyswitches in GPO are limited to a single instrument. There is no solo/ensemble switching. Patch changes won't work with GPO like the do with some midi synths.
    Bill

Thanks Bill.

If you can create an expression that changes the channel, you can open a tutti patch on one channel and a solo patch on another in the player. And voila: you've got what you want.

Thanks to all for responses. I posted the same query at Sibelius and their product manager (Daniel) answered:

"As far as I know, you can't change between solo and sectional sounds on the same staff in Sibelius, because each sound generally appears as a separate channel to Sibelius, and at present you can't issue MIDI channel change messages during playback."

Unless there has been a new development in midi messages, there is no "Channel Change" message. There is the "Patch Change" message which is meaningless to the Kontakt player, which is encoded with, and received on, a single midi channel, and which instructs the receiving synth to redirect the channel's messages to different patch/sample set.

Currently, the Sib mixer establishes the channel on which all channel midi events for each staff are transmitted.

In order for Sib to achieve multi-voice operation on a single staff, it would have to:
    --Allow assignment of notes or passages on a single staff to specific channels
    --Design the mixer to allow a staff to be put into "omni" send mode so that the embedded channel info from the notes or passages of the staff, rather than the fixed assignment in the Sib mixer, would determine on which channel to send the midi channel events, and therefore which player voice/slot would respond.

This capability is available with most modern sequencers.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Unless there has been a new development in midi messages, there is no "Channel Change" message. [...]
    Well, for those that can handle MFX plugins (not Sibelius, unfortunately), you could use my TenCrazy.com MFX Channel Switch plugin to map a CC message to a channel change for all subsequent notes.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Markleford,

This plug could be used with Sib in an indirect way.

I've used SONAR for a "Synth Rack", rather than GPO Studio, loading GPO and other synths, then driving SONAR from Sib via Mid Yoke (free). So I imagine you could drop the plug onto the appropriate midi track(s).
    Bill

Hey, that's a very clever idea!

I've considered in the past how to make a sort of "insert" in front of GPO Studio to allow for this kind of in-stream MIDI manipulation, sort of like how MaestroTools sits between the keyboard and GOS...

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum