• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jerry W's 'Enchanted Attic' Ballet is Wonderful!

Share/Bookmark

Jerry W's 'Enchanted Attic' Ballet is Wonderful!

I just watched the DVD you sent of the "The Enchanted Attic" and I am extremely impressed. What an amazing ballet and a fabulous job Jerry did.

The whole performance just works. The story, the music, the coreography, the costumes - all excellently done. The show kept me captivated and nowhere did I loose interest.

The story is delightfully magical and will appeal to the child in all of us. The choreogaphy was terrific and the dancers were marvelous. The children were just charming. The costumes were extraordinary. And, of course, the music was just perfect for the ballet and was first rate.

We could very well be seeing this being performed all around the world. I hope you don't mind if I send this to a few ballet directors I know. It was indeed an honor for GPO to be used in your ballet.

In a world where the magic is often hidden behind cold realities, the "Enchanted Attic" will fill many people with wonder and wake up the child within.

Jerry, thanks for making this 'wonder'ful contribution to the world.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Re: Jerry W's 'Enchanted Attic' Ballet is Wonderful!

WOW!
    Gary, what can I say to that? I am humbled by your review and praise of the ballet. I would be totally honored if you were to feel inclined to show it to as many ballet directors as you want. Though - I am not sure how many children's ballets are being sought after. Ten years ago, when it was originally written, I had thought of trying to "sell" the ballet, so to speak, to various ballet companies and such, but after I got into college and started thinking about that piece, I lost interest because I considered it a product of an uneducated mind and thought that serious (or even non-professional) ballet company directors would aggree with that assessment and just reject it.

I had encountered a LOT of praise from the dancers, and most of all, THEIR PARENTS, families, etc. So I thought, "Sure, THEY like it, but they aren't the ones I will have to be convincing". I would have to convince other artists, most of whom had more training and certainly a higher education that I did, to want to engage in productions of it.

Reorchestrating this piece with GPO made me appreciate it a lot more, even if it was an early work of mine. I now value the music for its melodies, the innocence, etc. I LOVE the ballet for all the reasons YOU mentioned above. The costumes, the seamless choreography, etc. etc. Those things make the music THAT much better!

I NEVER would have allowed this piece to be dusted off and re-performed if it hadn't been for GPO! Thank you SO MUCH for that Gary!! And thanks for taking the time to watch it.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Well Jerry,

Gary stole my thunder. My wife and I finally had a chance to sit down together Sunday night to watch The Enchanted Attic. This Ballet is just enchanting… from the cute little bear, to those nasty old bats. What a marvelous job you all did in producing this gem.

For those of you who don't know of Jerry's ballet, this is no "little kiddy dance for fun and be cute for the parents thing." This is a full-fledged, full-length, ballet, with the most adorable costumes and sets you've ever seen. Everyone including the kids, must have worked so hard to pull this off so well. Watching this made for a delightful evening for us.

And what about the music? As with most of the work I've heard from Jerry, the music supports the dancing with an understated elegance that is only achieved by the greatest composers. Jerry's love for kids just sings with charming melodies and simple, but effective rhythms that inspire the kids to dance their best, without being too demanding.

Jerry, I can only say that this was a joy to watch. Joani and I wish you only the best with this wonderful work. I'm sure we’ll watch it many times more.

Karl

And where might one purchase this DVD? I searched the forum and loved reading about the development of this project, I would love to see that actual ballet!

Thanks,
    Jon Bryson

Hi John,

Why don't you send a private message to Jerry. Perhaps he could sell you a copy. Ask him about buying the CD as well, for the audio quality is not as good on the DVD. You won't be sorry. And if you get the DVD, watch out for those spiderlings.

Karl

Karl!

I don't know quite what to say to that. Thank you so much for your review as well! I am touched and honored by your kind note.

I am so glad you and your wife enjoyed it. It was a really fun and thrilling experience. This time around was even better, I was able to just sit and be part of the audience. Last time I was operating the TAPE player for the performance up in the booth. It was very relaxing and fun to see the children enjoying themselves so much (and dancing so well).

One of the things that has kept me working with that choreographer (on 4 projects) is what she calls my "ability to convey childlike innocence and tap into emotions that are shared by performer and audience alike." If the child can feel what they are supposed to (with their imagination and the music's help), then they can really FULLY communicate that to the audience. It isn't easy. It can easily get campy, or exaggerated. But I have been somewhat successful at this. So I am pleased that you and others have been pleased too.

Note to Gary - if you do show this to other ballet or dance producers, please include the CD. The sound quality, as Karl mentioned above, isn't the best.

Jon,

Thank you for your interest! I have written to the videographer about selling more DVDs, and expect a reply shortly. I'll let you know as soon as I do. You will want to get a CD too - trust me. The DVD sound, while discernable and listenable, is basically the camcorder (albeit a very very nice one) mic recording the production - includes audience laughter and applause.

I am not sure how much I will charge the forum members for the CD. What do you think Karl and Gary? Would $10 be fair? It certainly isn't as polished as Karl's "Peter and the Wolf." I'll make that decision when i find out what the videographer will be charging for the DVD.

Thanks again all of you

Jerry Wickham

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Hi guys,
    (Gary and Karl, I sent emails with a message very similar in content to this post)

I just spoke with the choreographer and videographer.
    (I sent them links to this thread) and both were concerned about something.

The choreographer has issues with showing the DVD to other Ballet directors.

I guess she doesn't mind the exposure (actually is very comfy with THAT!), but is feeling uneasy and protective of her choreography, story, and basically the whole thing. (Though I did the music and own the performance rights to it, she created EVERYTHING else).

For the time being, the DVD is meant for PERSONAL USE ONLY, and I doubt that I will be able to get any more copies to distribute until something more permanant is decided. If someone like a Ballet director (or anyone else who might be able to profit from a production of this) wants to view it, another arrangment must be created through the choreographer.

Personally, I have no qualms at all with the sharing of my music around to whomever you see fit - in fact, it might be a nice pre-cursor to getting them to want to watch the DVD (or even decide to commission a new work altogether). In other words - share my music as often as and with whomever you feel comfy doing!

I am sorry about this. It IS just a children's ballet, but a LOT of hard work and effort and money went into producing this and we are just making sure all the basics of protection are there. I hadn't thought about that nearly as I should have, but I totally respect their positions.

Thanks guys! Please know I am grateful for your help and encouragement. And both the choreographer and Videographer were pleased that you enjoyed it so much.

Jon,
    Until things get cleared, want a CD? There is a nice synopsis in the CD Booklet.

Jerry Wickham

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

the clips i heard of this a while back were really top-notch...just delightful...so, i shall like to get a copy of the CD...congrats, jerry!

Jerry,

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, I would love a CD. Just let me know how much and where to send the money, sounds like it will be wonderful. You can PM me with the info if you prefer.

Thanks again,
    Jon

Jerry,

I finally got a chance to watch the DVD last night and I was blown away. I'm even more disgusted now that I missed seeing the live performance.

You are truly a gifted composer and I hope this leads to even more rewarding projects in the future.

Jeff

Go Back to forum