• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Where to recycle video tapes in LA?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Where to recycle video tapes in LA?

I'm trying to clean out the garage today and I've got a mountain of nearly 500 3/4 and 1/2" video workprint tapes from shows dating back ten years. These are not friendly to the environment, so I don't want to just toss them in the garbage. There must be a company that recycles these, but I haven't been able to find one. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks,
    _Scott

Re: OT: Where to recycle video tapes in LA?

They used to buy used 3/4" tapes, but those days are long gone. I'm in L.A. and tried to do the right thing a year ago, like you are now, and got zero results. No one wanted them, even for free, delivered.

So I tossed 'em and boy, did that open up some shelf space!

- Mike Greene

Yeah, the 3/4" U-matics went from high-tech to no-tech in a matter of months. After literally trying to give them away on eBay, my 200 leftover 3/4" demo reels currently reside in a landfill somewhere in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona. The only thing that was more sobering than finding out that my $10 tapes weren't worth the plastic they were spooled in was that my trusty Sony VO-5800 video deck's current market value was the price of one of the tapes it used to eat.

The VO-5800 now lives sealed in a garbage bag in my 130º garage.
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

Oh well, thanks guys, I tried. It may surprising, but the workprints for film and TV are still being delivered to sound and music editors on tape, which we have to digitize. This is still true for the majority of productions. When I send back the work to be signed off on, I'll usually burn a DVD, but I still have producers who request a VHS. Not all post production offices have made the leap into the 21st century. On a film I recently built a temp score for, the editor was using an Avid on OS 8.1. Transferring the OMF wasn't pretty.
    Thanks again,
    _Scott

Edit: BTW bruceup, my avatar wants to hang with your avatar. Where did you get that picture from, it's great!!!

Why not offload them on some poor unsuspecting FS students who are looking for worktapes to practice on?

Re: OT: Update

Unrelenting in my quest to properly dispose of these space gobbling tapes, I've found two sources still in business that recycle them. Thought I'd pass the info along.
    http://www.tropicalmedia.com/
    They pay for Beta SP and other digital media, but still recycle analog too.
    &
    http://entertainmentrecycling.visualnet.com/
    I was told by Encore that this company actually pays something for analog, but haven't received a callback from my message.

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Why not offload them on some poor unsuspecting FS students who are looking for worktapes to practice on?
    I've donated lots of workprints to the Berklee FS department, but they can only use so many.

Re: OT: Update

Quote Originally Posted by spettigrew
    I've donated lots of workprints to the Berklee FS department, but they can only use so many.
    Try UCLA extention division, and USC.

Hi--the Burbank Recycling Center accepts videotapes:

http://www.ci.burbank.ca.us/PublicWorks/Recycle-Center/

Burbank Recycle Center
    500 South Flower Street
    Burbank, CA 91502
    (818) 238-3900 (Tel) Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
    (818) 841-9700 (Tel) Saturday 8am-4pm

They also accept what they call "e-waste":Cell phones,Computers, monitors, Electronic toys, Microwave ovens, Network equipment, Printers, Stereos, Telephones, Televisions, Vacuum cleaners, VCRs, Video games

http://www.ci.burbank.ca.us/PublicWo..._materials.htm

Plus all the standard stuff you'd want to recycle. I don't think they pay anything for videotapes, but at least they are recycled as opposed to tossed in the landfill--if this other place actually purchases them it could be the way to go. Let us know what you find out--I have a ton of tapes that I was about to recycle as well!

Best,
    Kristopher

Go Back to forum