Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: War of the Worlds

Share/Bookmark

War of the Worlds

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Stand up and be counted...

Who else has seen it?

I thought this has to be the most subdued soundtrack I've personally heard of Williams. So well in tune with the picture I barely noticed it at times. I don't know if its one I could listen to without the picture, but it worked really well within the context of the film. He certainly didn't over-perform this one.

Re: War of the Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Stand up and be counted...
    Stand up and be counted .....
    For what you are about to receive
    We are the dealers
    We'll give you everything you need
    Hail hail to the good times
    'Cause rock has got the right of way
    We ain't no legend, ain't no cause
    We're just livin' for today

For those about to rock, we salute you
    For those about to rock, we salute you

Sorry. I couldn't resist. It's late. AC/DC seemed appropriate.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

They say it's the best B movie ever - but they said that about Independence Day.

If you liked Independence Day, you'll love War of the Worlds.

Both films do a great job of introducing well-defined, interesting characters, and putting them into harm's way. All of the puzzle pieces are well constructed, and have been pre-assembled for your consumption - there's not a lot left to the imagination.

If anything Independence Day is better constructed, but War of the Worlds is more harrowing. It somehow brings the audience deeper into the experience.

And, yes, the score is very subtle. There's virtually no music at all, until things start to go haywire. It's not a Star Wars theme kind of movie. The music follows the peril, rather than presenting character motifs.

It's not the greatest art, but it's a great summer movie.

-JF

Excellent movie, excellent score. I'm not a huge Williams fan, but I thought he did a fine job here.

Cruise also did a fine job. Dakota Fanning is a genius.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

I for one thought it was awesome. Sure, it's probably not going to win any oscars for its dramatic content, if only because the Academy isn't in to that sort of thing. But the movie is an experience, be sure to go see it at a theater with a powerful sound system as the sound of the movie I found was an important part of the experience. So much of the movie is perceived with the ears rather than the eyes. But the eyes certainly get their turn in this flick. The visuals were excelent.

I think the thing that sets the visuals in this movie apart from other such thriller flicks is that you are given a coherent panorama of what is happening, you "get" what is going on, and as a result you feel like you are really there. So many other movies by lesser directors will wind up doing close-ups of the main character or otherwise choose very poor camera angles and shakes that confuse the scene and clutter things up.

Definitely a thumbs up!

Well I thought it was amazing too.

It amazes me how the ending is just zooming over people's heads. They don't understand the significance of what is being stated at the end.

I understood completely and its pure genius. Wells did an oustanding job tying that idea into the story. Ahead of its time IMO, and apparently is still so since most can't capture the importance of it.

Lovely movie. I still want to pick up the original radio broadcast. Now that was genius.

I actually love the 1953 original with Gene Barry. Wonderful piece of Americana and great colour film they used in those days.

You're a card Paul.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast