• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Marching instruments in GPO-A?

Share/Bookmark

Marching instruments in GPO-A?

So what kind of marched instruments and drumline sets can we expect?

Snares with different heads (kevlar/mylar/double for pipe band), stick types, scrapes, tenors, basses (5+?), and a myriad of pit percussion (chromatic and non?). Cymbals in pit and marched?

How about different kinds of horns? The standard drum corps ones maybe (Trumpet in Bb or G, Mellophone in Bb or G, Baritone/Euphoinium, and Contras, over the shoulder "bazooka" style ones, not sousas). Or different textured instruments for field marching (not just brass).

How about different sound settings for "Football field (empty/full) stands", "Indoor stadium", "Band room", etc for reverb/echo and such?

Sorry if this seems like a strange set of questions.

Re: Marching instruments in GPO-A?

John,

First, let me say, welcome to the forum.

Second, I'm not quite sure that there will be any marching specific instruments in GPO Advanced. The Garritan team have been mainly concentrating on orchestral instrumentaion. GPO Advanced is just a more in depth look at the subject. However, it would be cool, wouldn't it?

Of course, I have no idea what is in GPO Advanced. I'm just going off of what has been said over the past year. But, one never knows, do they?

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by John56
    Snares with different heads (kevlar/mylar/double for pipe band), stick types, scrapes, tenors, basses (5+?), and a myriad of pit percussion (chromatic and non?). Cymbals in pit and marched?
    I'm fairly certain those instruments would not be in Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Maybe there will be a Garritan Personal Drum and Bugle Corps in the future.
    Followed by Garritan Personal Pipe Band of course.
    And then Garritan Personal Javanese Gamelan Ensemble.

I've found some soundfont libraries with marching percussion, they are decent, and probably useful for arranging parts at least. I have a pipe band snare, and it's not a sound that would translate really well to a sound library anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Thud
    I'm fairly certain those instruments would not be in Garritan Personal Orchestra.
    Why not?

GPO Advanced certainly can include those instruments. Or we could spin off a seperate library. Which would you prefer?

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Why not?

GPO Advanced certainly can include those instruments. Or we could spin off a seperate library. Which would you prefer?

Gary Garritan
    Depends.
    How much would it raise the price?
    ~but more importantly~
    How far back would the release date be pushed?

I think a seperate library would be better for something of that nature. I think a personal orchestra sould stay a personal orchestra. BUT DON'T TAKE OUT THE CLASSICAL SAXES!!! Those are orchestral enough to keep.

One more request from someone. (I really hope I'm not repeating someone else's words or my own, if I am, please excuse me )
    I would like more complete solo strings (as opposed to ens instruments). I often do arrangements for small orchestras of eight violins, four violas, four cellos, and two basses, and they often call for things like pizz, which I can't ensemable build in this case. And I also have phasing issues withing the violas because I can't use a solo and an ens instrument in unison, reducing the viola section's size to three and the same with the basses. Same with the clarinets and trombones. Sometimes I need four or five trombones or a bunch of clarinets. I understand you will be using SAM trombones and will have both solo and enseamble (not derivitive) patches. If there's only one solo trombone, then the standard three derivitive instruments would be really nice. That way I can have a trombone section of three SAM and three GPO. (plus overlays and stuff like that). But the clarinets, solo strings, and vibrato flutes I would like more of. I'm always bumping up against that barrier.
    And I think you mentioned a vibrato control for the solo strings? That would be SO great because while at camp I learned that orchestras never really used much vibrato before (I think) the 1920s.

Am I rambling?
    Sorry.

None of this is complaints. I will always be a BIG fan of yours, Gary!

And I advertised GPO to all of the young composers at camp, too!

Reguards,
    -Chris

In addition to expanding the orchestral colors, I'm just hoping that GPOA includes instruments necessary to mock-up symphonic band scores.

JT

Soprano cornet in Eb

Will there be a soprano cornet (for brass band composing) in the GPO-A?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Why not?

Gary Garritan
    I would think that GPO wouldn't include those instruments because they are never used in an orchestral setting. 99.9% of the users of GPO would not have a use for marching percussion sounds. In real life, they would simply overpower the orchestra. Note that this is not the traditional "field drum" called for in many orchestral scores.

The pipe band snare drum in particular does not blend well with anything other than bagpipes, because that's what it was designed for.

That's not to say that there wouldn't be demand for it. Marching percussion is a whole other world of percussion, and it could be useful for soundtrack composers who are looking for that specific sound.
    It would need to be a separate library (for the same reason that the big band and jazz needed a separate library). And I'd certainly buy it.

Here's a fine example

http://www.bluedevils.org/programs/a...o/bd99lot8.mp3

And the scottish stuff, just to give you an idea of the context:

http://www.strathpol-pipeband.com/McGeachieMPU.mp3

If you're looking for a challenge, work on a library of pipes (various bagpipes, etc, and scottish drums). Some already exist, but I have yet to hear one that comes close to the real thing. The existing libraries seem to be missing an important aspect. With the work you do on creating expressive, playable instruments, I think you could pull it off better than anybody!

Hey gary,

I said add whatever you want to add!! We won't mind! (too much!!)

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Personally I'd rather keep El Guapo from getting bloated (and expensive... and its release delayed). I love the idea behind GPOA--adding new instruments and effects and articulations to GPO's interface (I'd buy it for the string harmonics and col legno alone, and the SAM brass and concert saxes are a huge bonus for me)--but I don't think there's any need to try to accommodate every possible niche and contingency. I like the modular approach, offering optional expansion packs to suit individual needs.

This way in GPOA we'll have a core orchestra/band, but for a small extra price, composers/arrangers can pick up expansion packs to meet their needs ("marching," "avant garde," "celtic," "opera/theater pit orchestra," "medieval/renaissance instruments," "harry partch/john cage instruments," "concerto soloists," "Carl Stalling Cartoon FX," etc.).

Just my 2 cents... Of course, I'd probably buy every single expansion pack, so I should probably start saving my 2 cents...

chris.

Go Back to forum