• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo for audio ?

Share/Bookmark

ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo for audio ?

I just recently purchased the ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo and was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences related to audio performance. Any glitches with this mobo ?

Re: ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo for audio ?

I bought this mobo in December, and found it not to be compatible with my Echo MIA. I gave the MIA to my kid's computer (lucky kids) and bought the M-Audio Audiophile 192. It works in ASIO and GSIF modes, but not with standard WDM 16-bit audio. That may be because of the previous problem with the MIA though. I could re-install Windows from scratch to find out, but I'd rather just stick to my pro apps...

That said, it works great with Sonar, GS3 and Vegas 5. I can run five instances of GigaPulse on my A64 3000+. If it had worked with my MIA, it would have been perfect.

Maybe a BIOS or driver update fixes the MIA problem today, but I don't know...

-JF

I have been working with PCAUDIOLABS for several weeks slowly putting together what for me will be the perfect DAW. The Echo Audio products do not work with that board except the firewire products, which work perfectly. All of the M-Audio cards work fine with it. I personally am getting the Hammerfall HDSP 9632 but the Audiophile 192 is a great card. I just have a number of requirements that I want filled by one board (analog I/O, headphone jack, GSIF 2 support). GSIF support is sufficient to run GS3 but with a GSIF 2 compatible card you get features that GSIF 1 will not allow you to exploit (like kernal level Midi).

Rob (aka Mixednuts)

FWIW, I use it with an Athlon 64 3.0/audiophile 24 96/1.5 GB. Works fine with Sonar. I get glitches when using SoundForge -- though I have a feeling that's some kind of operator error.
    DAW: Dual Core 5200 4GB 160 IDE 320 SATA Sonar 4/GIGA: P4 3.0 1.5GB GS3 80 SATA 160 SATA GS Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by lion_cub
    I just recently purchased the ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo and was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences related to audio performance. Any glitches with this mobo ?

I have quite a few of these running my giga machines - no problems with RME cards but I couldn't get the on-board moby soundcard to work once I plugged in the RME so could be a resource clash.

Ian

An addendum: While trying to solve my SF 8.0 problem, I realized all my audio apps have dropouts why trying to play audio and draw waveforms at the same time. Some kind of competition between audio and graphics. I tried a number of things including trying to adjust IRQs and the audio card slot. Might be this:

http://www.deinmeister.de/mvp3_zlt_e.htm

...or might not.

FWIW.
    DAW: Dual Core 5200 4GB 160 IDE 320 SATA Sonar 4/GIGA: P4 3.0 1.5GB GS3 80 SATA 160 SATA GS Orchestra

Make sure that you're using the ASIO driver with SoundForge.

-JF

Yeah, it exists with and without ASIO. (It happens with Sonar 4 as well, I just never noticed it before because I use SF for all my close up waveform surgery.)

PCAUDIOLABS, who make hundreds of high end DAWs, recommends the A8V for almost (not all) all of their AMD Athlon64 systems. The specs are good. There are only two things I would prefer were different:

1. I wish the SATA interfaces on it were SATA II. Of course, there are very few SATA II controllers on motherboards these days. Still a little too early.

2. I wish the PCI bus had a speed of more than 33MGz. Probably wouldn't be a problem for anyone (including myself) but I just come from the school of thought that 'more is better' :-)

I've done research all over the web on different forums and read reviews as well and it seems like it's a very reliable board. The reviews are quite good.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMR
    Yeah, it exists with and without ASIO. (It happens with Sonar 4 as well, I just never noticed it before because I use SF for all my close up waveform surgery.)
    I'd update the video drivers, if you haven't yet. If that doesn't do it, get a different video card. Mine is the ATI 9200SE. I've never had the dropouts with Sonar that you describe, and I've used it with video, magnifications, etc.

-JF

Go Back to forum