• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase: How to record?

Share/Bookmark

Cubase: How to record?

Hey guys...after I have imported a few separate .wavs and can play them together perfectly, how do I know record or export or render this into one .wav/.mp3 etc file in Cubase? I see no option and I've read the cubase tutorial on garritan website but it does not say. I tried going to export but it has no option to do this, and when you click save as you cannot save as .wav etc. Thanks guys.

Re: Cubase: How to record?

I don't know about Cubase, but Cubasis (predecessor to Cubase) has an "Export Audio" button in the (master) track mixer, which does the job.

Yes its the same in Cubase. This has got to be Cubase's 'most asked question' because I don't think any help file or manual content tells you where to go to find this button. Intuition would lead you to the 'file...export' menu to no avail.

sorry guys im new to cubase, where is the master track mixer, is that the one rectangular strip that has rewind/forward/play/stop options? if not can someone plesae tell me how to bring the master mixer up and where that button is exactly because I still can't seem to find it

Mr. Eternal Rest7 (!),
    Which version of Cubase do you actually have?.. e.g.the "Export Audio" button is only present on the Master channel strip of Cubase VST (and Cubasis, apparently?), whereas it is not present on the Master channel strip(s) of SX/SL.
    (btw., the panel you are referring to in your last post is in fact called the Transport Bar.)
    Don't worry, there is no version of Cubase in which mixing down of audio is impossible , in most versions it is accessed (contrary to what forum member Low wrote) via the File menu >Export> "Audio Mixdown" (or similar wording). The only exception I can think of to this was Cubase VST 3.x, where the function was to be found inside the Audio menu (and also the button on the Master strip).

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    Mr. Eternal Rest7 (!),

Don't worry, there is no version of Cubase in which mixing down of audio is impossible , in most versions it is accessed (contrary to what forum member Low wrote) via the File menu >Export> "Audio Mixdown" (or similar wording). The only exception I can think of to this was Cubase VST 3.x, where the function was to be found inside the Audio menu (and also the button on the Master strip).
    Now we're going to confuse him! But yes I agree we need to know which version he's using - I assumed it wasn't SX because file...export is reasonably obvious but not so in Cubase 5/Cubasis. In the GPO bundled Cubasis and Cubase 5 (all varieties), you click PANELS...VST MASTER MIXER... and 'export audio' is a red button on the master mixer panel. If you are using SX then indeed it is the more intuitive File...export.

lol thanks guys....this program is really starting to give me a headache. I have SX cubase, and now I tried export audio mixdown it says "The right and left locators must be set!" What the heck does this mean?

Look at the top of the Tracks Window or whatever that thing is called. And you'll see a little blue bar with two arrows, one pointed right the other pointed left. These are your recording markers. Set these to the length of the song you're trying to record, then try to mixdown.

Ugh...sorry guys me back again. I don't know if I'm just retarded (very well could be) or I have a different version or what but I do not see any blue bars like you describe at the top. However, in the menu on top under Projects tab, there is a "markers" so I clicked on it and a little box came up and I set the first and 2nd marker. The first being to the beginning of the piece the 2nd to the end time of the piece and it seems to work well. In the little strip that has the play/rewind etc buttons theres a markers box and when I click on marker 1 it brings me to the beginning of the piece and when I click on 2 it brings me to the end so all seems well, but when I go to export/audio mixdown it still says "Left and right locators must be set!"

I don't know if that's separate from what I did and its that blue bar you're talkin about but I cannot find it. At the top of the screen the only bars I see are from left to right:

a button for Active Project, Constrain/Delay Compensation, Show Inspector, Show Event Infoline, Show Overview, Open Pool, Open Track Mixer, then is a rewind stop play record toolbar, then is the zoom/draw/erase/split/glue etc toolbar, then to the right of that is Autoscroll, Auto Snap On/Off and that's it......what am I missing here?

Thanks again guys

Woo forget it guys I finally figured it out thanks for all your help I would have never figured it out if not led in the right direction by you guys.

Go Back to forum