• Register
  • Help

Topic: Performance on P4 2.4ghz

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Performance on P4 2.4ghz

Hello, all!
    I've just migrated my GS3 over from my PentiumM 1.8ghz laptop to my P4 2.4 ghz desktop. I've noticed that the performance is significantly less than what I was getting on my laptop.
    I've heard that the PentiumMs can outperform the P4s in certain areas. Is that what I'm experiencing? Is there anyone else running GS3 on a P4 2.4ghz? What sort of performance do you get out of it?

~Chris

Re: Performance on P4 2.4ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim
    Hello, all!
    I've just migrated my GS3 over from my PentiumM 1.8ghz laptop to my P4 2.4 ghz desktop. I've noticed that the performance is significantly less than what I was getting on my laptop.
    I've heard that the PentiumMs can outperform the P4s in certain areas. Is that what I'm experiencing? Is there anyone else running GS3 on a P4 2.4ghz? What sort of performance do you get out of it?
    well, thats hard to tell. first of all a 1.8ghz p-m is a fast cpu! i really cant compare it to your cpu but i am guessing it could outperform a 2.4 ghz p4 on a not that fast mobo and slow memory, yes... definetly!!!

i just tested a asus ct-479 adapter on a asus p4p800-e dlx mobo. i was able to overclock the p-m 740 (1887mhz or the like) to 2650mhz and in this clock range the p-m is a f.... killer!!! it outperfoams allmost everything at least with gigastudio and other single threated apps. i am right now also testing a x2 4400 at 2600mhz but thats another story and really dont belongs into the gs3 area
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim
    Is there anyone else running GS3 on a P4 2.4ghz? What sort of performance do you get out of it?

~Chris
    Hi Chris. I'm running GS3.10 on a VPR-matrix (Bestbuy's old homebrand comps -- really very good) 2.4ghz PIV. Having fine performance in general throughout - can run multiple instances of gigapulse over a loaded template with fairly high polyphony. Sometimes even have an instance of EWQLSO Gold running alongside in Sonar 4 (if the memory is available.)

I'm not sure what your baseline experience and expectations might be coming from the p-m, but I've been pretty happy so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Existence
    Hi Chris. I'm running GS3.10 on a VPR-matrix (Bestbuy's old homebrand comps -- really very good) 2.4ghz PIV. Having fine performance in general throughout - can run multiple instances of gigapulse over a loaded template with fairly high polyphony. Sometimes even have an instance of EWQLSO Gold running alongside in Sonar 4 (if the memory is available.)

I'm not sure what your baseline experience and expectations might be coming from the p-m, but I've been pretty happy so far.
    Well, on my P-M I am able to run a Gigapulse effect on the Aux and still get up to 200-some voices without choking. That's with SONAR running alongside it on the same machine. I expected somewhat comparable performance from my P4 since the Tascam rep told me that the P4 should be better at cranking GigaPulse than the P-M. But I'm able only to get barely 80-voice polyphony before I start dropping voices.
    What's your RAM type and speed? I wonder if that's acting as a bottleneck for me . . .

~Chris

Well, I'm just going by benchmarks and articles I've read on the net, but a 1.8 ghz PM is probably faster then a 2.4 ghz P4. This is because of the different designs of the two processors. A PM runs faster at the same clockspeed then a P4. But on the other hand, because of its design, a P4 can run at much higher clockspeeds then a PM. So your basically comparing a fast PM to a slow P4. A 3.4 ghz P4 would likely beat the PM. And the PM cannot clock to 3.4, or even come close.

Another factor slowing down the P4 could be the speed of the bus and memory, and the amount of cache the P4 has. An older or lower end P4 is less in both. A P4 benefits from a large cache, more then the Athlon64 at any rate, again because of the design. It runs a lot faster with a large cache, and conversly, is hampered by too small of a cache. An Athlon 64 isn't affected as much by cache size. This is why Celerons are good to avoid if your interested in performance. They are basically P4s with small caches, which really can cripple them despite a high clockspeed.

Go Back to forum