• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Another what-to-buy inquiry

Share/Bookmark

Another what-to-buy inquiry

I've listened to the demos and read pretty much everything I've found about these libraries on developer websites, NS and other forums and Sound on Sound but making direct comparisons is hard without using the real products. All "product X is nice but I stopped using it when I got Y" type of comments would be helpful. I haven't used or tried any of the libraries in question.

1. I can get Percussive Adventures 2 with a discount. Will I have use for that if I get the Stylus RMX and propably the Metamorphosis expander?

2. I need a vibraphone with great motor on sound. Should I get the Artvista Cool Vibes or VSL Mallets? I'm after a jazzy and playable feel.

3. I'm tempted by the Piano Magic group buy price but I have several piano libraries like the Galaxy Steinway 5.1 and Vintaudio C7. Is there something superior in the Piano Magic bundle or will I do fine without it?

4. I need a fat upright bass in a library that also has electric basses. Which has better upright, Trilogy or Majestic?

Thanks for any comments. There is no substitute for first hand experience and I'm grateful if you share some of yours.

Re: Another what-to-buy inquiry

janila,

If you can get elelctric basses that you like for a decent price, please consider THE BASS from Bardstown Audio. It's strung with gut strings. There's a richness to gut that just isn't obtainable any other way.

Here's the link: http://www.bardstownaudio.com/

I know that it'd be an extra expense, but hope that you'll have time to check the demos. The developer, Kip McGinnis, also has outstanding after-sale support.

DavidH

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm aware of the Bardstown Bass and I have listened to the demos. Unfortunately it is too specific library for my use, I need a good sounding upright bass but I also need electric basses which the Bardstown Bass doesn't have. Buying all the needed bass instruments separately would cost too much. Therefore I have narrowed my choises to the Trilogy and Majestic. Hardcore Bass seems nice but it doesn't have an upright. The Majestic is dongleware which I dislike. The Trilogy also has the synthetic sounds. The Majestic is also more expensive but it is currently discounted. Does anyone recommend the Majestic over Trilogy for some reason?

here's my experience....you already have enough Sh*** just make music with it Dont' look to buy more of anything get deep down in what you already have. Make a list like ok you have NI Complete that settles all the FX and Synths, Then if you have Storm Drum that settles the Percussion really, (maybe), if you have Gold then your good for the orchestra, if you have pianos there you alright there etc...
    Constantly buying more and more samples of simular sounds and instruments get to be to much, a person needs to spend more time on what there using to get the most out of it
    Make some Noise! HAHAHA
    Shizuka na Ninja...
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Cool Vibes is great!

Few reasons why you should get all the new libraries available:

1. If you think you can make better music with them.

2. If you have lots of money and just need one of those sounds in those particular libraries.

3. If you think it's hip to have all the current libraries available[and you have lots of money].

4. If the library is too expensive that your clients will be impressed that you have it[and again if you have lots of money].

5. If it's too inexpensive not to make a dent in your wallet[you are broke].

6. Composer X is using it.

7. There's a group buy for it.

Why anybody would need so many piano libraries atleast !!!

It didn't take long to get this thread off the track. I agree with you StrangeCat and robin123 but my situation isn't quite like it might seem. Practically every library I have was discounted, in a group buy or in a bundle when I got it. For example I first got the Bösendorfer and Galaxy Steinway as a bundle. Then there was the ridiculously cheap Vintaudio group buy. After that I got the Kontakt2 (included in the rather affordable Komplete Care which I had added to my pre-order discounted Komplete 2) which came with a couple of pianos. Most likely I would sell some of the stuff if it was allowed but as it isn't I'll add new ones when needed and propably remove some older ones from my hard drive. The amount I have paid for the pianos is about the same I would have had to pay for the Galaxy Steinway alone when I got it so I don't think I've paid that much for having all those alternatives. They all are a bit different. And for a moment there was the 1.36 exchange rate between Euro and USD.

I usually use samples not just as mockup tools but as the final result. Therefore I need multiple choices and detailed libraries. Something-kinda-resembling isn't good enough. And I'm not buying all the discussed libraries at once. And I don't have the VSL Pro or EWQLSO Platinum, just the Opus1 and Silver. Nobody would say I should go write some music if I was looking for a decent piano to go with the VSL Pro even if the money needed for it is a lot more than the amount I have spent so far. But hey, I could be a rich bastard with all the money and that shouldn't matter here. You can think I'm loaded or stupid or whatever but I appreciate if you help me be that way.

I removed the list of similar libraries I have so that you won't get distracted by it. The bottom line is that I don't have a vibraphone with motor on samples, anything like Stylus RMX and I lack a good acoustic bass.

And Patrick, the Cool Vibes demos are very nice. Propably the VSL Mallets aren't as intimate and jazzy.

Cool Vibes is very nice and versatile.

man I am good at getting topics off topic LOL!!!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    man I am good at getting topics off topic LOL!!!
    Nah, we are already back on topic. Now you have to get really annoying to steer this discussion back off the track.

Go Back to forum