• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: reporters jailed -in America?

Share/Bookmark

reporters jailed -in America?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***

Re: reporters jailed -in America?

I have mixed feelings about this one... For a media organisation that believes in confidentiality to give up a covert CIA operative's identity, I can see the lines becoming blurred here... And this is coming from a radical(Myself), I bitch about the diminishing of our rights all the time.. This one I'm gonna have to look into more, cause I only saw a little exerpt on it...

Actually, It looks like Rove should be taking the big hit on this one.. But I think some ethical discipline of the media is in order.. This is something that can put someone's life at risk, and possibly an important operation... I do not condone Time's reporters actions on this..

LOL.
    You mean to tell me that someone is even going to suggest that the NYT is going to let a reporter go to jail to protect Karl Rove and/or Cheny as the anon source? hahahaha.

Now "that's" funny!!

R. Novak.originally broke the story about Wilson and named his wife. He revealled Plame's name as the person who recommend Wilson ..not Cheny..and revealled that Wilson for whatever reasons..was simply not being truthful about who sent him and why, what he was sent for, and what his role was, and how he was recurited and who he reported to.

Novak was called before a judge. He revealed that his source for the information used in his story was the 2 reporters in question. That they never revealled to him..the identity of their sources. Only the information they got. That's how the 2 reporters ended up in front of the court as being those who had the name of the source. Time is now going to release their notes/emails..etc. And my guess is..none of that..actually has the name of the source in it...but may shed enough light to narrow it down further and possibly identify who it is.

My guess is..it's someone within the CIA who was the source. Someone who would know 2 important things in this a) how Wilson was recruited and b) about the briefing the CIA had with Wilson at his home and who was there..etc.

All this just goes to show what a sleaze bucket Robert Novak is.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Normally I'm for protecting sources.

Let's say a reporter meets some people who are involved in meth labs. The reporter can then learn about the meth scene and report it to the public. This is a public service. If the reporter cannot shield their source, no more insider meth lab stories.

This case is different. The direct action of the source feeding this information to the press *was* the crime.

But that's not enough. Let's say that a government contractor ripped off the taxpayers, and this information was classified. If a source revealed this information, I would want the source protected as a whistleblower.

But that's not the case here. The public was not served by learning that Valerie Plame was a CIA agent. This was not a whistleblowing act. It was a direct felony. The information did not stop a wrongdoing. It did not aid society. This information was spread as a political retaliation. The press was used as a tool in committing the crime.

I don't care if the source was Rove or the janitor. The person who disclosed Valerie Plame as a CIA agent put lives at risk - in fact lives may have been lost for all we know - and did so as selfish political payback.

I say protect the whistleblower - but out the traitor.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    All this just goes to show what a sleaze bucket Robert Novak is.
    Exactly! He should be in jail.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

the problem is 2 fold, we have huge multi billion dollar corporations running the news media ( business comes first)
    and reporters concerned about face time and self serving actions.
    as an editor i still have problems with the government making allegations and prosecuting reporters. it opens up a major can of worms with serious
    potential for abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by mike harper
    ...as an editor i still have problems with the government making allegations and prosecuting reporters. it opens up a major can of worms with serious potential for abuse.
    Understood. It's the slippery slope thing. The government asks who the "outer" is today, and demands to know the meth lab guy's name tomorrow.

It would have been stronger if the news media corporation gave up the traitor's name immediately, and made a statement about how their company will not be used as a tool for committing a felony. The problem is that most people will not understand the line between a confidential source that reveals wrongdoing, vs. a source who reveals secrets that could cost lives for political retribution.

-JF

I agree with Jon. The reporters were PART of a crime. Whether or not they knew that Plame would be exposed -- and, honestly, how could they not? -- they participated in the crime and should, as a result, be forced to reveal their source.

And Novak should be jailed.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast