• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Giga studio IS NOT more efficient than K2!

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Giga studio IS NOT more efficient than K2!

At least, it is what I found out today

I finally decided to make a test on GS3 and K2 my self, and the results did not follow the common sense that GS3 has superior performance than K2, both in RAM management and voice output.

The fist thing that I noticed is that each note in k2 counts as two voices, wich means that if we have a 32 note count in Kontakt, it is equivalent to 64 in GS3 and so on. This already surprised me a lot, because I frequently hear user´s complaints that K2 can´t reach the same amount of voices than GS3, and this perception is actually based in a wrong interpretation of data. So, that "huge" 400 voice limit that one can achieve with GS3 is actually a 200 note limit in K2, wich is perfectly normal even for a slow setup like mine. Maybe I just misinformed, but I already felt very disappointed with many GS3 user´s opinions just because of that, for this fact is rarely mentioned, and so far has misleaded many people regarding K2 performance. Looked a little like "cheating", if you know what I mean.
    Whatever, maybe I am just late to find out about this important detail.
    Let´s go on with the tests:

Library: Sam Trumpets – Patch (close) Sustain 1 Rel_S
    Computer: Athlon XP 1700 – 1 GB Ram – 120 Gb Seagate Barracuda exclusive for samples, newly formatted drive (I know, it´s an old computer, but the point is testing performance, right? )

Kontakt 2 – latest version, DFD set to 256 notes (512 voices)
    GS3 – latest version, set to 512 voices max polyphony

Sequencer – Cubase SX3 + giga VST adapter

Results after loading the instrument:

GS3 – 31% of total memory used (according to GS3 interface)
    Msg32.exe – 263.168 K
    Gstudio.exe – 32.348 K
    Total memory load: 295516K

Voices result: 270 voices – dropout
    240 voices - clicks and pops

Kontakt 2
    Cubasesx3.exe (before kontakt+patch loaded) - 83.276 K
    Cubasesx3.exe (after kontakt+patch loaded) - 231.076 K
    Total memory load = 147.800K (calcutaling the difference)

Voices result: 256 notes (512 voices!!!) – dropout
    no clicks and pops until dropout

MY Conclusion: Kontakt could play twice more voices than gigastudio, despite the fact that the two samplers were configured with similar settings. There was also a large advantage for Kontakt regarding use of RAM, since its load was considerable smaller than GS3.
    The test was also made using other patches, with the same results, including pianos, and string instruments.
    Ok, so far I am taken to the conclusion that, at least for my system, is it not true that GS3 is more efficient in any way than K2. Other people could do the same tests and post the results here, to make a definitive comparison between the two platforms.

Re: Giga studio IS NOT more efficient than K2!

Very interesting. However, I don't quite understand your voices argument. AFAIK each note also counts as 2 voices in GS, so there is no difference there.

D

The point is that one can look at K2 UI and see 100 notes, then look at GS3 and see 100 voices and think that the two numbers represent the same thing. This causes a lot of confusion when comparing the polyphony of the two systems.

Daryl,

A kontakt "voice" is a single stereo voice
    A Giga "voice" is a single mono voice.

IE, Gigastudio 160 was actually only capable of 80 stereo notes.

sorry,

we are getting completely other results!!!

you want to say that with an rme card you can get up to 80%@ 1.5ms latency in kontakt like in gs3???

noway!!!

you want to say that you can load the same amount of samples into kontakt??

bulhsit!!!

you want to say that a pc runing kontakt can play more voices then gigastudio???

your kidding!!!

if you say so you must be even an employe of natives or at least a radical enthusiastic
    Digital AudionetworX

says the guy with gigastudio in his sig.

heh.

i had to read this again...

sorry man, your system is so outdated that it is actually saying nothing!

atlhon 1700´s had so many bugs that you really cant do perfomance tests on it.
    i am guessing that you are even runing it on a bad 133via chipset.

even if your hardware is ok and your drivers too, what you say is just not true!

kotakt 1.xx and even kontakt 2 on pc is so dramaticly BAD in performance that a actually nice peaco of softwar becomes useless.

i just sold a new g5 to a client and after he installed stormdrums he asked me is this my new damn fast mac??? yes it is!!!
    Digital AudionetworX

says the guy with gigastudio in his sig.

yes!!!

i am building gs3 systems, systems for ewql-symphonic orchestra, g5´s based on logic pro and protools, protools based pc´s and nuendo pc´s etc..

and you???
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    kotakt 1.xx and even kontakt 2 on pc is so dramaticly BAD in performance that a actually nice peaco of softwar becomes useless.
    I don't have GS3, so I can't compare. But I can assure you that the performance of both Kontakt 1 and Kontakt 2 is NOT dramatically bad. I couldn't be happier with its performance.

Now, if you weren't pushing GS3 in your sig, maybe we could take your comments a little more seriously.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

I used to have giga160, then got kontakt when it came out and haven't looked back since.

I've never compared kontakt 2 vs. giga3, nor do I want to, I just thought it was hilarious the guy with giga3 in his sig, SELLS GIGA RIGS is denouncing the kontakt guy claiming he has an agenda, when all he had was facts.

Go Back to forum