• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 and WinXP SP2

Share/Bookmark

Question GS3 and WinXP SP2

First, let me express my appreciation for these forums and for being permitted to join.

Does anyone know the status of running GS3 under WinXp SP2? Tascam site only lists SP1 on their equipment list. This might not be a big deal to those of you fortunate enough to have a separate machine for GS but it is a deal killer for me at the moment.

Apologies if this has been covered before. Before posting I tried to search for XP and SP2 but those terms fall below the size threshold of the search engine. I tried manually browsing through the forum but had to give up before getting anywhere close to the end. There's over 300 pages of topics!

Thanks ... Rick

Re: GS3 and WinXP SP2

Quote Originally Posted by RemixRick
    First, let me express my appreciation for these forums and for being permitted to join.

Does anyone know the status of running GS3 under WinXp SP2? Tascam site only lists SP1 on their equipment list. This might not be a big deal to those of you fortunate enough to have a separate machine for GS but it is a deal killer for me at the moment.

Apologies if this has been covered before. Before posting I tried to search for XP and SP2 but those terms fall below the size threshold of the search engine. I tried manually browsing through the forum but had to give up before getting anywhere close to the end. There's over 300 pages of topics!

Thanks ... Rick
    I have no problems yet, but then I've only been on Sp2 for 3 weeks (on 3 machines).

D

I've been using GS3 and Windows XP SP2 since about the time GS3 came out. No problems.

Again, no problems here.

Many thanks for the replies. Any idea why Tascam specifies SP1?

Hi Remix - Several possible answers - The simplest is that SP2 wasn't available when they were doing the application testing prior to release...a second possibility is that with SP2 being a significant update in OS terms, and with many people finding it problematic (it apparently caused a lot of apps to stop working altogether) that Tascam will have decided (as would any good software company) that without a full test suite run against SP2 at this time they would not claim SP2 compliance until they were sure it was...So that's not to say that it won't work, it's just that it hasn't been rigourously tested to confirm that it absolutely-definitely will... (it's not only good customer service but a legal thing for sure...)

I don't know your background, but for people who haven't ever been involved in application development this sometimes seems to be a straightforward thing that could surely 'just be done'...unfortunately, it comes down to amount of work: Simplistically, once actual coding is completed and the application appears to work the developer will typically work out a comprehensive set of test routines to test all the aspects of the application and make sure that the application works as expected (think of how much functionality an application typically has and think of writing a set of cases to test it all!) - Additionally however, for every additional version of a significant component (i.e. 2 versions of the OS) you introduce, you have to do all the testing with all the versions, so doubling (at least) your testing time - Thus, the system requirements are typically what the manufacturer has tested against, and knows will work.

...and the flip side (upside) of that is that if you ring with a problem, and you are running the same set of underlying components (OS etc) underneath your application then there's a possibility that all things being equal they should be able to duplicate your problem and help solve it, without wondering if might actually be a 'feature' introduced by the operating system or some other variable beyond their control
    Don't know if that's of any use or stuff you already knew (or really whether you were rather hoping someone from Tascam would dive in with the actual reason?)
    Cheers
    Paul

Just got GS3 a few weeks ago, seems to run o.k. on a desktop that came with SP2. Had a problem getting set up, but I don't think that was OS related.

FWIW, I like SP1 better than SP2, having used both (though not with GS3). SP2 seems to take longer to start up, use more resources, and freeze a bit more often. But still better than Win 95, 98, or 2K.

There's just a lot more invasive 'features' to find and turn off when tweaking for audio. jc

Before I upgraded to GS3.1, I contacted Tascam Technical Support about clarification for support of XP SP2. I was told that it was "no problem, absolutely supported." For the legal and technical reasons so expertly articulated in an earlier post, it is likely that this commitment is not made in writing, however.

The bottom line here is, don't worry about it. The extra resource requirements and the pain in the butt you will have with trying to disable all the new security features in SP2 will be much more of a problem and a worry than anything having to do with Giga.

Disabling the security nags in SP2 is easy. Go to Start>Run then type "msconfig" (no quotes), go to the Services tab and uncheck Security Center. You can run all that stuff manually any time from its control panel. This way you won't get nagged if you turn off Automatic Updates as is a good idea to prevent Windoze from stealing cycles away from audio apps.

Other than that, it's just a matter of allowing/disallowing the network privedges as needed.

- G

Go Back to forum