• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Ivory compared to other sample libraries: Can anyone comment from experience

Share/Bookmark

Ivory compared to other sample libraries: Can anyone comment from experience

I really have most of the piano libraries out there and mainly use the Black Grand, the PMI Boesendorfer and Vintaudio´s Yamaha C7 (apart from the lovely Malmsjö Grand from artvista).

I once again had a closer look at Ivory. The interface looks sexy and the concept sounds good. Could anyone comment from his/her own experience how Ivory compares to one or more of the above mentioned libraries (together with Kontakt)? I´m not sure what to think of audio demos so I wanted to ask users about their ideas: Playability is an important factor which can´t be demonstated in an audio demo.

What´s YOUR opinion? Or in other words: Would buying Ivory give me any benefit over these fine libraries besides satisfying my plug addiction
    Best regards
    Raindog

Re: Ivory compared to other sample libraries: Can anyone comment from experience

Seems like you have MORE than enough! :O I don't think another library would offer you anything particularly new. Save your money for something else.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Re: Ivory compared to other sample libraries: Can anyone comment from experience

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    Seems like you have MORE than enough! :O I don't think another library would offer you anything particularly new. Save your money for something else.
    You may be right. Funnily enough that´s the same thing my wife says

i am also interested in this

i have pmi old lady, bosend 270, giga piano, vint yam c7 , the grand (steinberg) steinway le...but everyone is raving about ivory....

i hope a pc demo will be out soon to give me "peace" once and for all

i have 3 hardware pianos....and are realy full of cra p when it comes to sampled pianos....

Ivory is great. Unfortunately I have nothing else to compare it with at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st

In my opinion, "more than enough" will happen when there is finally a library that accurately captures all the subtle nuances of a piano. So far, in spite of all the great work many developers have put toward the effort, there is still room for improvement.

The question in the opening post asked for first hand experience in comparing Ivory. Do you have any or are you just shoveling out unfounded advice?

Jim

I have PMI Bos, PMI Old Lady, Malmsjo, and also have Ivory.

I think the "playability" (for me) of Ivory is great. It makes me want to play more. That is one of the things that stood out for me after I purchased it.

I do still like the Bos a lot but prefer Ivory and use it exclusively now. The Old Lady never worked well for me for some reason.

I use Ivory as an RTAS plug-in with Pro Tools and it works great for me. I love being able to have it work within PT, it suits my working style very well.

The interface? AMAZING. For me, leaps and bounds above others I have seen. I used to try fine tuning the piano in Giga... Yikes!

This interface to me is how every one should work and hopefully most will in the future (as far as piano plug-ins go).

I am only stating my individual opinion of Ivory and realize most importantly, different strokes for different folks. Some people are gonna love it and some people are gonna hate it.

You (and all of us) probably need first hand experience to be able to judge best. Unfortunately the only way to do that with Ivory is to buy it.

Also, I know they have something up their sleeve that should be out soon. I don't know what the heck it is but I am very excited to find out.

I can't say enough good things about Ivory. I love it. By the way, I have no affiliation with the company. Although I would like them to send me money for saying nice things about their product :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    I once again had a closer look at Ivory. The interface looks sexy and the concept sounds good. Could anyone comment from his/her own experience how Ivory compares to one or more of the above mentioned libraries (together with Kontakt)? I´m not sure what to think of audio demos so I wanted to ask users about their ideas: Playability is an important factor which can´t be demonstated in an audio demo.

What´s YOUR opinion? Or in other words: Would buying Ivory give me any benefit over these fine libraries besides satisfying my plug addiction
    Best regards
    Raindog
    For playability and realism the three piano in the Ivory instrument are unmatched by anything else on the market. The Steinway is my favourite but I'm prejudiced because I was brought up on Steinways. I haven't bothered to spend money on ANY other sampled digital piano, although I have played / listened to most of whats on the market. When the Windows XP version is released this will be my first digital piano purchase. For me it comes closer than anything else to the real instrument.

Thanks for your very helpful comments. I agree that my current libraries are excellent and maybe I don´t need anaything else. The sexy idea of Ivory though is to have my three favourite pianos in ONE interface with tweakable parameters. The aim of my thread was to find out if THIS works for the people who USE Ivory.

The other thing which I´m intersted is playability. There is some secret beyond perfect samples how a piano FEELS when you play it (though they will always miss the nice vibration at your fingertips when playing the real thing). Therefore I wanted to thank the people who commented on this. I´think I´ll have to find a shop with an installed Ivory and just PLAY it to get some impression.

Greetings,

I'd love to hear a comparison between Ivory's Yamaha C7, and Vintaudio's Yamaha C7. Anyone have both?

-Journeyman

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast