• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Brian Wilson's "Smile"

Share/Bookmark

Brian Wilson's "Smile"

Have you heard this album? Holy jesus...it's absolutely amazing! I adore it...Perfect pop.

JPS

Re: Brian Wilson's "Smile"

Buy the DVD. It's even more amazing live. And the documentary will floor you.

I didn't like the album. To me was kind of a bad ripoff of everything else he's done. But I could be jaded - I'll go listen to it again. (I loved Pet Sounds so much, I bought it)

Quote Originally Posted by metrobot
    I didn't like the album. To me was kind of a bad ripoff of everything else he's done. But I could be jaded - I'll go listen to it again. (I loved Pet Sounds so much, I bought it)
    But it was conceived 39 years ago. This is the original stuff! It just took this long to be reallized because Brain basically lost it when he saw that people (including the Beach Boys) just weren't going to get it.

I think it's more that he lost it when he realised that his album, which had taken him years, and was going to be the greatest album ever, wasn't going to surpass Sargeant Pepper, which the Beatles had just knocked out in a couple of months.

I don't think over 700 hours of recording time constitutes as "knocked out"

Well, I'm not trying to be so glib as to try and boil a crippling schizophrenic depression lasting almost 40 years down to just one factor, or even two. I think his family life (and father in particular) and, no matter what anyone says, drug use contributed and there is probably much more. But there seems to be no doubt that one way or another SMiLE was the staw that broke the camel's back.

It is great! What is most interesting about this album is that it has its own style of counterpoint in those vocal lines. I bet Brian Wilson doesn't know a darn thing about counterpoint, but he made it up for himself - and it works.

And born deaf in one ear. Can you imagine mixing with no hearing in one ear?, Maybe he just combines the stereo mix to mono and has help with adjusting pans etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    But it was conceived 39 years ago. This is the original stuff! It just took this long to be reallized because Brain basically lost it when he saw that people (including the Beach Boys) just weren't going to get it.
    Actually the original "original" stuff was recorded 39 years ago as well.
    The Smile demos just were never released . i have a casette tape of them hear ,from the leaked originals... its pretty trippy stuff....Best ,Rich

Go Back to forum