Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Orchestration Duel Redux

Share/Bookmark

The Orchestration Duel Redux

Here are the three entries:

Entry 1: http://home.comcast.net/~marbella01...1_GPO_Duel2.mp3

Entry 2: http://home.comcast.net/~marbella01...2_GPO_Duel2.mp3

Entry 3: http://home.comcast.net/~marbella01...3_GPO_Duel2.mp3

We'll keep the voting open until July 15th.

You can also hear the entries at Southport Jim's GPO page:
    http://home.comcast.net/~marbella01...m_GPO_Page.html

Re: The Orchestration Duel Redux

Bump.

Where's all the comments guys?

This is a bit of fun, that can also be instructive if people express a few opinions.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Bump.

Where's all the comments guys?

This is a bit of fun, that can also be instructive if people express a few opinions.
    I agree, and enjoyed the feedback that the first round had.

I'm in the middle of getting our IT operation prepared for the coming hurricane right now (we're in northwestern Florida on the "Redneck Riviera"), but once we're past the weekend I will be leaving some comments for the three entries...hopefully others will do the same.

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I place them in this order (starting with the best) 1, 3, 2.

Number 2 used strings in block chords. If this were a harmony competition, it might have done better, but it didn't vary things enough from an orchestration perspective. With strings alone one can use different articulations (pizz, tremolo, etc), and one can add and drop out voices. One can also present a foreground, background and middleground, but it didn't happen here. To composer number 2, keep pushing, and strive for more variety.

Number 3 also used string block chords, but employed a melody instrument above it. The cymbals added some peaks, but were overdone. The transition to the woodwind section added variety, but it was a bit late for my ears. The recapitulation of the strings/horn was very good! It contrasted with the woodwind section in an engaging way. It was emotionally uplifting. I would say that this was the best moment of any of the three pieces, but the piece needed more variety overall to win.

Number 2 used a variety of instruments to keep the piece moving forward. Somehow, I wasn't drawn in emotionally, but it was the most dynamic of the three, and gets my vote. It was also the only one to use a counter melody layer.

Keep in mind that orchestration is about variety, and using the instruments to their best advantage. One can employ lots of variety within a single instrument or section by using various articulations and ranges, and by adding and deleting voices within a section. It's also about presenting an image and a sense of motion to the listener.

I think this competition was especially difficult because of the long, detached melody that it was based on. To present the melody as a continuous line pushes the composer towards static orchestration. By adding more variety, one risks losing the intended melodic thread.

Congratulations to those who competed! I hope that you all find my comments helpful as all of our orchestration skills continue to improve.

-JF

Bumpidy- Bump-Bump.

Can't let this one get lost. I lurk on this forum every day and would like to see who gets the task of melody setter.

Keep the fun alive boys and girls. Dead line for voting is coming soon. July 15.
    Don't let it pass you by. It's alot easier to vote than to actually orchestrate one of these pieces.

No excuses for not voting, only for not composing.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Hey I just noticed I got one star!! Somebody out there likes me. Aww shucks...... You're makin me blush.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Quote Originally Posted by 88fingers
    There shouldn't be any excuses for not composing either (as I kick myself in my own butt)...after all we had a month! Next time I WILL make the deadline, even if what I have at that point is horrible.

;-)

Tomorrow's the deadline folks...so if you haven't voted yet there's still time!
    ;-)

Hoorraayyyy,

Today is the day !!!! Looks like Number 3 is going to be the winner !!!!
    It will be fun to see who orchestrated it. Unfortunately I will be out of town for the weekend and miss all the excitement. Unless something drastic happens today, congratulations #3 great job.

I enjoyed all the entries.

Talk at you all Monday.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Hoorraayyyy,

Today is the day !!!! Looks like Number 3 is going to be the winner !!!!
    It will be fun to see who orchestrated it.

I enjoyed all the entries.

Talk at you all Monday.
    'Fess up time....

I am guilty of being the perpetrator of Entry #3.

Obviously this is just a friendly bit of fun, but it is pleasing to know that soem people enjoy what I do.

Jon - I appreciated your comments. I find it interesting that the bits you weren't keen on were the bits that didn't come naturally to me - I was trying for a more "commercial" (?) sound at the beginning and because I found that boring, I continued the orchestration in "my normal style". The lesson here obviously is to be myself and not try to be anything else.

Congratulations to my co-entrists, this was not an easy challenge - but that made it more interesting - simply entering an orchestration was an achievement in itself

I believe it is now my responsibilty to set the next challenge.

I will aim to have this posted by 22nd July.

If anyone has any suggestions for refining or improving this challenge, please post your ideas in this thread.

And finally... thanks to everyone who voted for my entry, my manager, my agent, ...this award is not for me, it is for all the people behind the scenes.........
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum