• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

    Notice! The notice that you notice no one else notice that the notice was notice near the other notice that someone noticed at first when you didn't notice that there was a notice under the notice that was above the notice on the left of the notice that no one cared to read a notice that this notice is about no notice at all!

    Now, did anyone happen to notice? Aaa kuk kuk kuk kuk! Arfk arfk arfk. I yams what I yams. Kuk kuk kuk kuk! Hey Olivesk!

    The man's nuts, Grab 'em!


    Gee, I hadn't noticed!
    Styxx

  2. #2

    Re: New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

    Ahhhhhhh my head...... CAN'T...... READ...... ANY.... MORE...... (click)
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

  3. #3

    Re: New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

    I'm so confused after reading that...
    Tim

  4. #4
    Senior Member newmewzikboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,700

    Re: New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

    Styxx...just....what is it you do all day, again?

  5. #5
    Mayor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    nr Manchester, England
    Posts
    138

    Lightbulb Re: New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    ......no one cared to read a notice that this notice is about no notice at all!

    Now, did anyone happen to notice?
    I noticed! ...
    (I think..)

    The man's nuts, Grab 'em!
    (((((Nooo!!)))))

  6. #6
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Talking Re: New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

    Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Styxx...just....what is it you do all day, again?
    Drive you nuts!
    Styxx

  7. #7

    Re: New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

    Listen, this whole "the man's nuts" thing...

    First up we have "man's", which may be either a contraction for "man is" OR the possessive form of man. This sets up the next word "nuts", which now is one of two possible homonyms, a noun (what squirrels eat) or an adjective describing the man's condition. Additionally, there is a possible extra double entendre if the word is a noun relating to an off-color colloquialism for part of a male's reproductive organs. This now leads into the crucial phrase, "grab 'em!!" The problem here is that even though one can use a contraction to instill ambiguity about this final phrase it is still clearly one of two words: "him" or "them". The choice of words will lock all the preceding words into one specific meaning or another, thereby robbing the pun of its ambiguity and therefore killing the pun. If the joke is delivered orally (aurally) one can make use of the very similar sounds of the contraction to make it work, but in print this is not the case.

    If the pun is in fact rendered as "The man's nuts, grab 'em!!" the shortened version of "them" clearly implies that, indeed, it is the man's nuts that are being grabbed and not the man himself. Indeed, this would be the preferred delivery since the other way is not funny in any respect and the grabiing of a man's nuts is always good for a giggle, but it loses a layer of wit all the same.





    I'm just saying.



    What were we talking about? I'm a very good driver. A very good driver.


  8. #8
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Talking Re: New Notice Updated Notice of Notice Update.

    Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Listen, this whole "the man's nuts" thing...

    First up we have "man's", which may be either a contraction for "man is" OR the possessive form of man. This sets up the next word "nuts", which now is one of two possible homonyms, a noun (what squirrels eat) or an adjective describing the man's condition. Additionally, there is a possible extra double entendre if the word is a noun relating to an off-color colloquialism for part of a male's reproductive organs. This now leads into the crucial phrase, "grab 'em!!" The problem here is that even though one can use a contraction to instill ambiguity about this final phrase it is still clearly one of two words: "him" or "them". The choice of words will lock all the preceding words into one specific meaning or another, thereby robbing the pun of its ambiguity and therefore killing the pun. If the joke is delivered orally (aurally) one can make use of the very similar sounds of the contraction to make it work, but in print this is not the case.

    If the pun is in fact rendered as "The man's nuts, grab 'em!!" the shortened version of "them" clearly implies that, indeed, it is the man's nuts that are being grabbed and not the man himself. Indeed, this would be the preferred delivery since the other way is not funny in any respect and the grabiing of a man's nuts is always good for a giggle, but it loses a layer of wit all the same.





    I'm just saying.



    What were we talking about? I'm a very good driver. A very good driver.

    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! ! Grab 'Em!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •