• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using RMX with Sonar 4. How to sync?

Share/Bookmark

Using RMX with Sonar 4. How to sync?

I am a blind user who wants to use RMX with Sonar 4. However, I resent having to extract MIDI information for each part of an RMX multi separately. Is there any way to choose 8 parts you'd like to use together and grab their MIDI information all at once? Failing that, is there a way to use the play button in the footer of RMX but have it slave to the record function in Sonar? There are no tutorials that explain how to use Stylus RMX with Sonar as yet. I'd use one if it existed.
    thanks,
    Kevin

Re: Using RMX with Sonar 4. How to sync?

Quote Originally Posted by kevjazz
    I am a blind user who wants to use RMX with Sonar 4.
    Cool. I imagine it's quite difficult for you as it is a very visually oriented instrument.

However, I resent having to extract MIDI information for each part of an RMX multi separately.
    There isn't an easy, quick or reliable way to export Multitrack midi files directly into the majority of host applications yet. Drag and Drop of single track MIDI files from a Plug-in to a host is still a relatively new phenomenon and even that isn't fully supported by every host application.

Multitrack MIDI File export would be cool to have if we can get it working with the majority of the major hosts. It definitely is on our wish list for the future.

Failing that, is there a way to use the play button in the footer of RMX but have it slave to the record function in Sonar?
    Basically, there is a way to do what you want...which I'm guessing is that you want to have an easy way to trigger a full Multi in sync with Sonar.

The way to do it is to MIDI Learn the All Play and All Stop functions to your hardware MIDI Controller using RMX's MIDI Learn feature. Then you can start and stop a full Multi in sync with Sonar, wherever you want the groove to start...and of course this info can be recorded into the track as well.

This method is far superior to simply slaving the Sonar and RMX transports, because then your groove would always have to start and the first bar...which would be quite limiting! :-)

Since the Video Tutorial on MIDI Learn is very visual, I'll give some info in text form from the upcoming RMX Manual:

MIDI Learn is an immensely powerful feature that allows you to control virtually any on-screen parameter on any RMX page with an external MIDI controller. It is a very flexible system that can adapt to the hardware MIDI controller you use and also allows any RMX parameter to then be recorded into the host application.

The process of Basic MIDI Learning a hardware control to an RMX parameter is extremely simple:

• Select “Learn Control” in the Utility Menu (folder icon button)

• Move the parameter you wish to control on the RMX GUI

• Move the hardware control on the MIDI device that is connected to RMX

That’s it!

If you want to do basic MIDI Automation of some of RMX’s parameters, that’s all you really need to know. Your MIDI Learn assignments will be saved with your song for later recall.

NOTE: You can also reverse steps 2 and 3 and the result will be the same.

HINT: You can use "Unlearn Control" to de-assign a MIDI controller from an RMX parameter.

You may also save this MIDI Learn setup as your default settings patch and that will allow it to return as your standard template whenever you open RMX.

There is an extensive Default settings system in Stylus RMX that allows you to customize RMX’s behavior when loading, clearing and reverting. This feature does not appear on the RMX interface, but you can take advantage of it by Saving your default settings in a special directory dedicated for this purpose.

When an instance of Stylus RMX is first loaded, RMX searches for a Default multi patch file to load. RMX looks inside the SAGE/Stylus RMX/Patches/defaults directory for a file called “default.mlt_rmx”. This is the file RMX loads as it’s default for the entire plug-in.

Spectrasonics has provided a default setup for RMX, but you can create your own and replace the factory default settings with a custom template.

Here’s how to create your own custom default multi settings template:

• Before opening the RMX plug-in, go to the SAGE/Stylus RMX/Patches/defaults directory and make a safety copy of the “default.mlt_rmx” file and archive it. This will allow you to return to the factory default settings in the future if necessary.

• Open an instance of Stylus RMX in your host.

• Make some settings changes that you would like to see load upon each instantiation of RMX. You can choose to customize any settings that you wish for any part - from the status of the Chaos Designer, to what MIDI Mode each part boots up in, to the Trigger Mode settings on each Part, to what FX are loaded on any of the FX racks, etc.

HINT: The MIDI Learn settings for your specific hardware controller is very useful to store in the default multi. This way, RMX will open every time setup to your custom hardware controller settings.

• Save the Multi and call it “default.mlt_rmx” inside the SAGE/Stylus RMX/Patches/defaults directory. You will be asked if you want to overwrite the existing default patch.

Now whenever you open the RMX plug-in, it will open with these settings each time. Also, if you perform a Multi Clear operation, RMX will return to these same settings.

There are no tutorials that explain how to use Stylus RMX with Sonar as yet. I'd use one if it existed.
    Good news! We're hard at work on creating video tutorials for all the major hosts including Sonar.

So there will be a wealth of additional support information for you soon.

All the best,

spectrum

Thanks so much for your reply. I won Stylus in a drawing at NAMM. It's a product I would never have bought for myself because I just don't think in terms of rhythmic based virtual instruments. I've enjoyed Atmosphere and used it in one of my albums. but RMX has the potential to introduce me to an entire new mind set for making music.
    thanks again,
    Kevin

I just thought I'd ask one more question. I'm assuming that I would do better to create a template which had eight audio outs and eight MIDI tracks to handle the maximum material for the RMX portion of my project. If I did that, and if I had eight parts assigned to eight different audio outs both in the RMX mixer and in Sonar, what would the next step be with regards to mixing the project. First, how would I "Bounce to Tracks in Sonar? would I select all the eight audio outs and then choose the bounce to tracks option reducing all that to one stereo pair? What are my other mixdown options?
    thanks again,
    Kevin

I'm not a Sonar user, so I'm really not sure of the exact steps.

Perhaps David Abraham will see this post and chime in...I know he does this all the time...

I just thought I'd ask one more question. I'm assuming that I would do better to create a template which had eight audio outs and eight MIDI tracks to handle the maximum material for the RMX portion of my project. If I did that, and if I had eight parts assigned to eight different audio outs both in the RMX mixer and in Sonar, what would the next step be with regards to mixing the project. First, how would I "Bounce to Tracks in Sonar? would I select all the eight audio outs and then choose the bounce to tracks option reducing all that to one stereo pair? What are my other mixdown options?
    thanks again,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

I generally don't assign the outputs of RMX to seperate audio outs. The only reason for doing this is to apply processing to the track within Sonar. Considering the level of effects built in to RMX I would consider this to be a rare exception.

My suggestion, route all RMX outputs to a single (stereo) channel and only route the tracks to a seperate channel that need special processing.

I think you'll find this cuts way down on the clutter.
    - Layne

At the top of this thread, I was told to "learn" the "All Play" command in the footer to start the multi in Sonar. Assuming that works, I want to hear all eight parts start with my other MIDI tracks. Do i need to assign eight MIDI tracks for the eight parts in the multi? I assume the "learn" idea eliminates the need to do that. If it does, will bouncing one MIDI track to audio give me a submix of all my RMX parts in one audio track?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

At the top of this thread, I was told to "learn" the "All Play" command in the footer to start the multi in Sonar. Assuming that works, I want to hear all eight parts start with my other MIDI tracks.
    Yes...you will. It's the same as pressing it manually.

Do i need to assign eight MIDI tracks for the eight parts in the multi? I assume the "learn" idea eliminates the need to do that.
    That's right.

If it does, will bouncing one MIDI track to audio give me a submix of all my RMX parts in one audio track?
    Yes....but it is not necessary to bounce. Only if you have a specific need for it to become audio data for some reason. You can just leave it virtual if you like.

spectrum

I tried to "Learn" the Play All command with a MIDI note like A0. I couldn't get that to work. I could get it to work with a slider, but that isn't the kind of controller I want. I can't think of any buttons I have that could be used. How do I use the MIDI learn command with a specific MIDI note on the keyboard as trigger?

Go Back to forum