• Register
  • Help

Topic: DP and virtual instruments

Share/Bookmark

DP and virtual instruments

Hi,
    Can anyone give me a basics and some recommendations on using virtual instruments with DP on a mac. I have DP 4.5 and a powerbook G4 15" 1.5gb with 1gig of RAM. I bought Mach 5 a while back and haven't been able to use it very succesfully. I've tried all the buffer adjustments etc, but it's such a processor hog I get overload audio error messages everytime. I've pretty much given up on it. I remember trying the Garritan personal orchestra a while ago. A friend let me try his demo version and I used it a little before it expired, but was so busy I don't recall if it caused the same audio/processor problems as Mach 5 (I don't think I can try the demo again on the same disk, can I?). I'm going on the road for a year and need something contained entirely in the powerbook for both orchestral and pop sketches; I don't need anything broadcast quality, but don't want it to sound like a bad synth orchestra either. I don't want to carry any synths or samplers but use DP and some kind of software sample player/library. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: DP and virtual instruments

Quote Originally Posted by maestrond
    Hi,
    I remember trying the Garritan personal orchestra a while ago. A friend let me try his demo version and I used it a little before it expired, but was so busy I don't recall if it caused the same audio/processor problems as Mach 5 (I don't think I can try the demo again on the same disk, can I?). I'm going on the road for a year and need something contained entirely in the powerbook for both orchestral and pop sketches; I don't need anything broadcast quality, but don't want it to sound like a bad synth orchestra either. I don't want to carry any synths or samplers but use DP and some kind of software sample player/library. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick,

There is no demo version of GPO. I don't know what your friend gave you but it wasn't a demo version of GPO.

Neverhtleless, there are many GPO users that use DP in their powerbooks with great results. GPO was optimized to run in RAM and was designed to be a portable solution. The probelm may have to do with the processor power. You could try the full version of Kontakt. Kontakt 2 comes with a full complement of orchestral and pop instruments. However, NI-based samplers rely on the CPU and the Powerbooks sometimes have a difficult time. The performance may not be better than GPO.

Can you send me the demo version?

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Can you send me the demo version?

Gary Garritan
    I think he means he gave him a copy of the lib w/o the C/R key? - that would allow it to work for 30 days and then shut itself down when it wasn't registered.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Hi Gary,

Thanks for responding. Alan's right; I got the library without a key and tried it out for 30 days. I really don't remember if I had trouble with it, though. I remember it was a very busy time for me, so what I think happened was that I didn't really give it much of a workout. I do remember liking a lot of the sounds, though. I'm just a little gun shy now, having thrown away the $$ I spent on Mach 5, but I'll probably go with GPO; seems to make the most sense for my needs.

Thanks,
    Nick

Go Back to forum