• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: FX Teleport for Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

FX Teleport for Gigastudio

I know a couple composers who use FX Teleport with their giga machines. The idea of not having to deal with cables anymore and bouncing music instantaneously is really exciting to me (with giga). Right now I have 1/4 inch analog cables coming out of all three machines to a mixer (snaking under the closet door), then back to the DAW. It's a hassle to deal with and makes for a little noise. My friend told me he also has an instance of the IR-L convolution reverb running in each each machine along with gigastudio, so when you bounce your music, all the reverb effects are automatically applied!

AM I IN FREAKING STONE AGES HERE!?

Re: FX Teleport for Gigastudio

You're not in the stone ages, but I think you should have a good reason for using a mixer. One good reason would be if you like the interface for mixing. Another would be if you're tracking live bands (as opposed to overdubs, which are one or two channels) and want the convenience of having everything within reach. A third reason would be if you like the sound

That's all devil's advocate, of course - I got rid of my digital mixer last year and haven't looked back.

Even if you don't use FX Teleport, you can connect the analog or preferably digital audio outs directly to your main computer, bypassing the mixer. But you have to be comfortable mixing with a mouse, and not everyone is. (I had a HUI here for years, but after several years of not touching it I admitted to myself that I mix with the mouse and sold it.)

I wouldn't recommend using an analog mixer unless you have good AD/DA converters and good balanced cables. Even then I'd go for a digital solution anytime, unless you have an SSL of course

Nick: I use a Gina 24/96. Unfortunately there are only two 1/4 analog in's - so I wouldn't be able to route all the machines to the DAW. I'll still keep my mixer, but if it's possible to get rid of the hassle inherent in mixers/cables while retaining the same quality (if not BETTER) audio, then why not?

Herman, all my cables are Mogami - and they are pretty much noiseless. I think the noisiest thing in my set-up is the Waveterminal 192m card on my third machine (I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND IT) and my Kurzweil K2500 effects processor. A digital solution sounds expensive me thinks?

Any Giga FX teleport dudes out there?!

My hunch is that if you're running 5 - 6 machines over FX Teleport, you'll need to restrict the number of audio channels out of each machine to avoid overloading the ethernet bandwidth. You'll also probably want to use gigabit ethernet.

They have a working demo, so you should just try it and see how it works for you. I'm really looking forward to the Mac version, which is on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    Herman, all my cables are Mogami - and they are pretty much noiseless. I think the noisiest thing in my set-up is the Waveterminal 192m card on my third machine (I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND IT) and my Kurzweil K2500 effects processor. A digital solution sounds expensive me thinks?

I'm also not a big fan of ESI cards since they have pretty bad AD/DA converters. That's another reason to go digital, as it will sound much better, instead of having those low-end AD/DA's mess up the sound. When going digital (using S/PDIF or ADAT for instance) there's no conversion happening so you can get good results with the cheaper cards.

And then there's the software option, of which most are somewhat expensive nowadays. Why does a piece of software that simply transmits MIDI data over an existing ethernet connection have to cost 100 $ ???

Another option is using the bounce function in Gigastudio on seperate pc's and manually dragging the wave files over a network into the master sequencer PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    Another option is using the bounce function in Gigastudio on seperate pc's and manually dragging the wave files over a network into the master sequencer PC.
    Which I can not recommend .. I grew 5 years older over 5 months when I was doing that

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Which I can not recommend .. I grew 5 years older over 5 months when I was doing that
    haha - what does that make you now, 40
    but seriously...I know, I did that too for a while as a makeshift solution.
    I got pretty quick at it - but I have spent numerous hours of editing and moving wave files around, so I was used to that kind of stuff.

The big ( and ultimate) advantage of Gigateleport is that it’s the unique solution to stream 32 flt channels over a ‘CPU farm’.

I don’t know other solutions (soft or hardware) to do this.

It takes the 32 flt stream directly from the Gigastudio mixer to put it directly in your sequencer.

If you use 32 flt tracks, you can’t get a better quality.

The thing is, for a composer ( and you are a composer, if I don’t make a mistake) , the best way to work is to work in real time and only in real time (no bounce).

Unfortunately, Giga teleport needs a lot of resources to get a real time latency (less than 7ms in total ‘from the key to the ear’, if I might say.)

I tried without success. I think my CPUs are too weak (P4 2.6 and Athlon 2.8).

It’s sad, cause I think that the « audio and midi other LAN + native drivers » solution is the only pertinent way to link some computers today, and definitely the pro solution we need.
    I really don’t understand why big companies, like Steinberg for exemple, don’t want to develop this.

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewt...571&highlight=

Why does a software that simply transmits MIDI data over an existing ethernet connection have to cost 100 $ ???
    Cause there is only one to do this...

Go Back to forum