• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Brazillian Jazz for Band

Share/Bookmark

Brazillian Jazz for Band

Here is something a little different from my usual postings.This is a tune from my bands last Album.The Tune is called Tres Marias (3 Marys) which is the Brasillian name for the 3 stars that form Orions Belt.
    This is probably as close to soundtrack music as I ever get.Some of the high strings have a John Barry type vibe,and the Harmony for the piece is a bit Michel Le Grande-ish.
    From GPO I use section VLs and Violas with a few solo strings to randmise it a little,and the wonderful Harp in the intro.
    There is also real violin,played by my wife and co-band-leader Azhaar.
    It has been mentioned in previous posts,how good it sounds to mix live players with GPO,and this piece is a fairly good examle of that.
    Finally,check out the flute playing on this track.Mostly alto flute,but also bass fl and concert fl in the intro.This is my friend Gareth Lockrane sight-reading the piece,including his first take solo.!!!!!!
    Some musicians who I really respect are starting to call Gareth the best Jazz Flute player in the World.!!! Now that is a very bold claim,I admit.! I don't know enough to judge,but I will say that although it is a bold claim,it is not a ludicrous one based on this evidence.
    regards

Tres marias2

Re: Brazillian Jazz for Band

Oh my, this is so sweet. It soooo takes me back to the 60s when I was at Berklee, and we would play bassa for hours at a time. There is no more relaxing music to hear or to play, and yours is tops.

The flute player is really quite good, but then so is the rest of your group.

Thank you, for letting us hear this delightful music. I think after dinner, I'll pick up my guitar and see if I remember any of those old tunes we used to play so long ago.

Karl

Wonderful! Your live/GPO blends work very well!

I like this very much. The flute dude toots masterfully!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Oh my, this is so sweet. It soooo takes me back to the 60s when I was at Berklee, and we would play bassa for hours at a time. There is no more relaxing music to hear or to play, and yours is tops.

The flute player is really quite good, but then so is the rest of your group.

Thank you, for letting us hear this delightful music. I think after dinner, I'll pick up my guitar and see if I remember any of those old tunes we used to play so long ago.

Karl
    thanks Karl that was me on the guitar!,Bossa guitar is my favourite style
    regards

Thumbs up Re: Brazillian Jazz for Band

WOW!!!!
    How beautiful it is!!!!
    Joaz, it sounds GREAT.
    Surely you have a great ability to make sounds GPO.
    I love it!!!
    Also this piece has a summer taste!!!
    What I can say if not, BRAVO!!!!
    You have done a beautiful piece!!!
    Can you see a beautiful women dancing this piece in the middle of discotheque and you that watch for hear with a cold drink in your hands!!
    Oh Joaz, this is wonderful!!!
    What type of effect did you use?

My best regards,
    Roberto

Loved 4:22, 4:37, 4:59, 5:10 born at 00:35.
    No space for Flauto at 2:10/19 (maybe pedals are too dense ?)
    What am I talking about? I'll never write something close
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by beach

Can you see a beautiful women dancing this piece in the middle of discotheque and you that watch for hear with a cold drink in your hands!!

What type of effect did you use?

My best regards,
    Roberto
    Thank you Beach.Yes I can see her,her name is Maria and she has 2 beautiful sisters at the bar,also called Maria.
    The only Fx in this piece is a little reverb,and a little delay.Although there is also various Mastering FX on the whole mix.Waves stuff.
    thanks for the listen
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    Loved 4:22, 4:37, 4:59, 5:10 born at 00:35.
    No space for Flauto at 2:10/19 (maybe pedals are too dense ?)
    What am I talking about? I'll never write something close
    Thanks for the VERY close attention given.
    I know what you mean about the flute at 2.10,I could have compressed it a little more,but I wanted to keep it live,and I like it when the ear has to chase an instrumental sound deep into the mix sometimes.
    As far as the other timing cues you mention goes,they are all FX created by the Live Violin. I multi-tracked her several times.
    For me the Violin is the original FX machine and I thought it would be fun to use the Violin instead of the Keyboard.
    It is really gratifying to see people listening SO closely.As they say in Brasil Muito Obrigado.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Wonderful! Your live/GPO blends work very well!

I like this very much. The flute dude toots masterfully!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best regards,

Larry A.
    Thanks for the listen Larry,I agree about the flute dude,he is quite a tooter
    regards

Thumbs up Re: Brazillian Jazz for Band

Beautiful piece. I really enjoyed it. The Flute was very nice and blending with GPO was terrific. I feel a little odd saying anything critical at all, because it truly is an amazing piece of work. However, as to provide some contructive thought rather than just letting you know how nice it is (which it really IS), I think I would have liked to have heard a little bit longer solos (especially the Flute), as it seemed like the soloists could have used a little more time to fully develop their solos. On the other hand, unfortunately most listeners these days don't have the attention span for longer improvisations. So keeping the solos to a shorter length may make more sense from commercial stand point.

Keep up the great music.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast