• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trend: Flash Drives to Replace Hard Drives?

Share/Bookmark

Trend: Flash Drives to Replace Hard Drives?

MacWorld is reporting that Samsung hopes that falling prices for flash-memory chips will mean solid-state memory can eventually replace hard-disk drives in Apple PowerBooks and iBooks as well as other devices.

The benefits? - silent; less power; no moving parts, reliable and faster.

Samsung announced a prototype 16GB drive based on flash chips. Flash memory has several advantages over hard-disk drive storage: it consumes less power, it has higher resistance to shock, it's more reliable because there are no moving parts, it can read and write data faster, and it's silent in operation. The downside right now is that it's much more expensive.

Can you imagine your laptop just running on instant flash memory. Sounds promising.

Gary Garritan

Re: Trend: Flash Drives to Replace Hard Drives?

From my experience in developing with flash memory, it has its share of problems, namely in # of writes you can perform over the lifetime + reliability. This was about 2 years go. Perhaps they have worked out the kinks.

In film school in 1963 I had a visionary prof who projected a no moving parts future.....unless you count electrons.

Since I started using computers with the "portable" Osborne (portable if you were a gorilla) I have watched the trade off of speed vs weight and heat become a battle against time.

So -- what about the idea of issuing software as an encoded flash drive that cannot be duped. Sort of like the key of today. GPO on my keychain? It cannot be that far away......and multiple slot machines will still be small......

GC

Quote Originally Posted by chmara
    GPO on my keychain? It cannot be that far away......GC
    I just ordered one of those little 2 Gigabyte USB drives.

What I plan to do is put GPO on it (GPO is a little less than 2 GB) and actually have GPO on a keychain.

Ok, nooooo way! !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

What I plan to do is put GPO on it (GPO is a little less than 2 GB) and actually have GPO on a keychain.

I have a 20gb Zling Drive from z-cyber ( www.zling.us i think), and I love it. It's very small (maybe the size of 15-20 stacked playing cards), and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

I use it to store all my mp3s to carry around with my laptop (so I don't take up space on my actual system, which I reserve for sample libraries and audio recording).

I've never tried using the Zling drive for streaming samples, but I believe it is based on flash technology (no moving parts), so it might just work. I might just have to give it a try! Can anybody read the specs and tell me whether this is possible?

Right now I keep my large sample libraries (StormDrum, EWQLSO) on a separate external hard drive, but I rarely bring it with me because it's bigger and requires power cable. (I keep GPO on my built-in HD so it's always with me!). I wonder if I could pick up another ZLING drive for EWQLSO?

chris.

Gary,
    You should let us know how it works out. I am interested in using flash drives as you are describing. My hesitation is my lack of understanding for reliability and performance. If both are improvements, I can't imagine why people would not move in this direction.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Because of registry entries and such (and being a removable medium), that may not work. Also, some OS will not allow instalations to a removable drive. They are still worth having though, and you could put GPO's Installer on one and the data then install it on any computer!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I still like the idea of putting GPO on my ipod...

I have a 265Mb flash drive that I carry on my keychain(!!!) and it's so awesome!! I know that's tiny but I got it free from a company I used to work for. It's so great for transferring files from home to studio and that sort of thing. One of those "how did I live without this" things. What I really want is a car stereo that works on a big removable flash drive so I can take my song library with me when I get out of the car.

I would be MUCH more comfortable using a solid state drive in studio work even if it was a little more expensive because it should be more reliable- no moving parts.

And with sample libs getting bigger all the time I bet soon someone will start shipping their product on a drive of some kind instead of 15 DVD's you have to load.

Go Back to forum