• Register
  • Help

Topic: loop problems with stradivarius and guarneri solo violin?

Share/Bookmark

loop problems with stradivarius and guarneri solo violin?

Hi there... I've been working with the various solo violins... I've found the gagliano to work well in a lot of musical situations... However, the stradivarius and the guarneri have this very audible loop point when you sustain a note... it actually stops and starts again... Is there any way to smooth out the loop point in the stradivarius and the guarneri so that they work like the gagliano??? Any info appreciated, thanks...

Re: stradivarius and guarneri solo violin?

tradivoro,

There should be no looping problems. It could be a system or other glitch. Make sure you have the latest update to the player which is available for download.

Re: loop problems with stradivarius and guarneri solo violin?

Hi Gary, thanks for responding... I'll look into downloading the kontakt player... But what can I do to my system to prevent the looping casue other instruments in GPO don't have this problem?? It's a shame cause these violins sound very nice until the loop break kicks in, and in kicks in like after 2 seconds... Can I send you a wav file, so you can hear this? Cause it is bizarre considering the Gagliano works perfectly fine.. Could it be that the files for the Strad and Guarneri be corrupted in some way?

Trad,
    Tom Hopkins has confirmed your observations, although I don't think he attributed the artifact to a loop point per se.

See Tom's answer HERE
    Bill

Yes, I had just assumed that it was a bow direction change but it's interesting to see why.

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Trad,
    Tom Hopkins has confirmed your observations, although I don't think he attributed the artifact to a loop point per se.

See Tom's answer HERE

Thanks bill for your information... Well, the Gagliano works for me, it is a shame that there are technical reasons that prevent the use of the Stradivarius and the Guarneri, except for short note melodies... Hopefully this will be corrected in the pro version...

It's a nice myth that good players will change bow imperceptibly. Many CAN, at certain speeds and dynamics, but almost everyone never ever does - in orchestra, you will often be told to 'stagger' the bow changes, to hide that 'bump' that conductors, and audiences if they know good from bad, try to avoid at all costs. That's on long arching melodic lines.

It is possible to hold a long, and quite loud, bow stroke for many many seconds, even while playing different notes, and even crossing strings, but it's not much fun. We will usually 'break up' the bowing to suit position changes, or string changes, and this happens every few notes. Actually I haven't tried suppressing the attack of these solo violins with the pedal to get legato, with new 'strokes every so often', but I did hear the lump on audition, presuming it was a loop. Pretty much the same thing as the 'heel to tip' loop we create on ever stroke.

Try adding those despicable bulges and swells to your violin lines, and by all means listen to a concert violinist (recordings are easier to inspect) - they thump away like nobody's business - part of the act, and very hard to suppress. Hope this helps.

Good solo string players do not thump away like nobody's business - it is not part of the act. A good solo player can and will hide the bow change. But of course, there are lots of not so good soloists - lets just call them what they are: mediocre - out there, and they certainly thump and record away like nobody's business - unfortunately that is a part of the act, and very hard to suppress

That's a fair comment Nickie, of course a great player will use his or her technique to spin out beautiful phrases, hopefully that is a big part of what is so praiseworthy in their artistry. I will just add (maybe I should have qualified my earlier comments with this) that everyone (dangerous generalisation, I know), even the greats, have their caring and not-so-caring days, on stage and in the recording studio. It is fascinating to observe the sometimes very 'casual' approach to phrases and bow changes taken by even very famous soloists (this is not really a criticism). Sometimes, I know, it just feels good to tug a bit at the heel or push at the tip, though it's not 'written' in the music - and who is to say that it is never a good thing?

Sequencing solo violin lines is something I have not seriously attempted, as for a serious project I will normally play them myself (I have yet to hear a really convincing simulation). For violin sections, I have had great success doing multiple passes while altering my playing position relative to the microphones. This has proven very successful, and with the set-up of the GPO you can experiment with this kind of approach with all the instruments.

Go Back to forum