• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Do I need a Cray for GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Do I need a Cray for GPO?

I just recently got GPO and am driving it with Sibelius 3. Other h/w-s/w are: Win2000Pro, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, SoundBlaster Live! card, ASIO4all driver.

At 1.25 GB RAM the sounds worked fine with string quartet and harp. But when I tried playing a score with 18 instruments, far less than the 64 maximum, my system choked, popped, jerked, and collapsed in a blast of static. That's what I get when I try to record, also.

So I upgraded to 2GB RAM (max on my motherboard), fooled with every software setting I could find (including CPU Quality in the Ambience. It made the full-orchestra playback worse, and now I get cracks and pops in the string quartet.

Any GPO-Sibelius users have better experience? What's the fix?

Re: Do I need a Cray for GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith
    I just recently got GPO and am driving it with Sibelius 3. Other h/w-s/w are: Win2000Pro, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, SoundBlaster Live! card, ASIO4all driver.

At 1.25 GB RAM the sounds worked fine with string quartet and harp. But when I tried playing a score with 18 instruments, far less than the 64 maximum, my system choked, popped, jerked, and collapsed in a blast of static. That's what I get when I try to record, also.

So I upgraded to 2GB RAM (max on my motherboard), fooled with every software setting I could find (including CPU Quality in the Ambience. It made the full-orchestra playback worse, and now I get cracks and pops in the string quartet.

Any GPO-Sibelius users have better experience? What's the fix?

Well, perhaps not a practical solution for you, but since the GPO Studio is very taxing of the cpu, I use the VST version with my sequencer, and it works well. I don't often use it with Sibelius.

Richrad

Have you tried turning off un-needed services in Win2k? If not, do a search on this forum for "tweak services" (or similiar)...there are a couple of threads out there on tweaking to improve audio performance.

jim
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Doug,

All the GPO users here have Cray supercomputers running WinXP and OSX .

There are some things you can do in case you don't have one (actually your computer is ideal )

Make sure you load only 'dry' instruments and not wet. Next, turn down the CPU/Quality settings on Ambience reverb in GPO Studio. then make sure the 'autoconvert to 32 bit' in Options in the player is NOT enabled. And raise the buffers as high as they can go. Doing these things should significantly improve performance.

You may get better performance in a sequencer. The main reason is that sequencers allow to adjust the buffers higher than 512. We are working on an update to GPO Studio that will allow you to do this. But follow the guidelines above and you should do much better.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    All the GPO users here have Cray supercomputers running WinXP and OSX .
    Either you or Sean Hannifin should supply some graphics to go with that sentence...what an intriguing idea!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Also make sure you have adequatly tuned your win2000 system for audio. Some of those hacks are at: http://www.musicxp.net/ and they also apply to win2000. Also disable any services and background apps you do not need.

Its very important that you have adequate virtual memory allocated on your system. 1.5x to 2x memory size. Not kidding. I have 2 gig of memory, and I noticed that with GPO, memlock off, DFD disabled, I was swapping sometimes up to a gig of memory when I hit a ceiling on my sample loads.

This site explains it some, but I disagree based on my experience and research that it can be set lower than 1.5 to 2x:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Also make sure you drives are defragmented. I think the tuning site mentions this.

You can experiment around a bit watching memory and virtual memory go up and down in task manager cntl-alt-del...and adjust settings as needed.

There are some memory hacks in the registry that are different from XP, but I don't want you to risk going there.

I'm never going to sleep again until someone figures out how many instances of GPO could run similtainiously on a Cray...

(Yes, yes, assuming some compatible OS... )

What's a Cray?

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    What's a Cray?
    Apparently one of the latest supercomputers?

Posts like this make the integration of GPO into Finale seem like such a logical move... now I understand Gary's ambiguous reply when I queried if the solo Strad's features would be fully accesible from Finale. It appears that indeed they will be!

Ah heck, I just have to say it - you wouldn't need a Cray if it ran under Giga.

Go Back to forum