• Register
  • Help

Topic: New equipment questions

Share/Bookmark

New equipment questions

I'm about to order a new computer because my old one just doesn't have the power to handle GPO with lots of instruments (I need to be able to load a full orchestra.) I compose in Sibelius.

I know I'm going to get 2 Gigs of RAM (enough?) and two 160 Gig hard drives in a RAID-0 configuration. I'm trying to decide between an Intel dual-core processor at 3.0 or an Intel at 3.2 or 3.4. Any thoughts on that?

I thought the M-Audio Audiophile 192 looked good as the sound card, but it doesn't appear to have output for the usual computer speakers. I have powered studio monitors, but I also have some Monsoon speakers. Does it work to have an M-Audio card and some simple sound card like a SoundBlaster Value both installed?

Thanks for any advice before I order.

Randy

Re: New equipment questions

Randy:

Perhaps others will have some feedback and differ from my statement:

2 gigs is reasonable, but if you are planning to use GPO Studio for a BIG orchestra, you will reach a ceiling when you hit around 1 gig of utilization (loading in LOTS of instruments) and LOCKED memory enabled. If you plan on disabling LOCKED memory, the swap space tends to be used as a buffer, at least that is what I am seeing in my experiments.

Running individual instances outside of GPO Studio (using GPO orchsta option) may allow you to get more samples into memory, as they are theoreticaly differnet applications and allocate memory only for themselves. I have not tried this, and I am not sure how they interconnect in to your sound card. You also won't be able to use the inetgrated Reverb in GPO Studio

You can have multiple sound cards in your machine, but you will need to somehow mix them from one output source. K only allows you to choose 1 output device, so you need a way of routine to each card?

If you plan to use DFD option, putting the samples on another drive might help. Thats an aweful big drive though for this library. Are you using other samples??

The processor speed isn't that important to me at least! I run on only 1.6mz laptop and get a nice orchestra here. I have 2 gig of memory and use finale.

I would hold off on dual core until OS and mobo's are stable. In the meantime, get yourself something cheap as you are only it appears running 2 apps right now

Quote Originally Posted by randy_s
    I'm about to order a new computer because my old one just doesn't have the power to handle GPO with lots of instruments (I need to be able to load a full orchestra.) I compose in Sibelius.

I know I'm going to get 2 Gigs of RAM (enough?) and two 160 Gig hard drives in a RAID-0 configuration. I'm trying to decide between an Intel dual-core processor at 3.0 or an Intel at 3.2 or 3.4. Any thoughts on that?

I thought the M-Audio Audiophile 192 looked good as the sound card, but it doesn't appear to have output for the usual computer speakers. I have powered studio monitors, but I also have some Monsoon speakers. Does it work to have an M-Audio card and some simple sound card like a SoundBlaster Value both installed?

Thanks for any advice before I order.

Randy

I would only use one sound card with GPO, and I think that problems with my present card have been key to running out of resources. I have not been able to get it to use a sample rate setting lower than 96,000 Hz, which uses up far too many resources.

So changing sound cards might solve most of my problems. But I happen to have some extra money at the moment, and Dell is having a 25% to 34% off sale, so I thought I might buy a hot rod while I could afford it. I do run a lot of programs, including photoediting, audio editing, website design, and so on--thus the huge hard drive and potential interest in dual core. The latter would probably be of little current benefit except for multitasking, but a couple of years down the road supposedly more software will be designed to take advantage of it (as Photoshop already does).

Glad to hear that the processor doesn't have to be extreme. And maybe I'll just stick to a single sound card to simplify things.

Hi Randy, for the sound card you may want to consider the Delta 44 by M-Audio and for midi, you may want to consider the MOTU Fastlane with 2 ins/ 2 outs.... I think you'll get more flexibility out of that... Or you can spend a little more money and get the Echo Gina 3G PCI Audio Interface, that has mic inputs, built in preamp with manual gain and phantom power as well... Also, midi interface... You'll be able to connect your powered speakers into either the Delta or the Gina...

AS far as the pc, 2 gigs is definitely healthy and either an good AMD chip or good intel chip will do the trick, you don't have to go with this dual processor deal... If you build it yourself, you'll save a lot of money and know exactly what went in there... I"m using an AMD 2200, with 1 1/2 gigs of ram and GPO is running well with no problems...

I think that if you assign the same sections to the same midi channel, you should have too much of a problem with larger orchestras... However, I don't know if your final goal is to get a full audio recording that sounds great, or just as a soundboard for your composition... If you're going for that full production sound, you may want to consider getting a good sequencer... That way, you can export the work you do in Sibelius to a midi file and do the production work on the sequencer... But if all you're doing is Sibelius and GPO, you should be in great shape...

If you are using GPO, I don't think you will necessarily benefit from 96k audio output since the samples are all recorded in 16/44.1 from my understanding.

If you just want to use it for Sibelius and GPO only, you can get by with very little hardware indeed. I have it running on two machines - one win98 1 gig 1.7 P4 and my laptop 1.6mz with 2 gigs of ram. My laptop only has one drive, and I am able to load and run 46 patches successfully (incled harp and piano) and use the reverb in GPO Studio. This is the nice thing about the package. I don't need a giga server to work on my preliminary composing with FINALE, and can compse at starbucks.

On my win98 DAW, and my GIGA, I utilize Delta 66/SPDIO connections directly. I am also experimenting with FX-teleport to my laptop to run some of my VSTi's remotely into my DAW, which has been very successful!

I was going to start a new thread but Randy is asking about my problem. I just got GPO and am trying to drive it with Sibelius 3.

It works fine with a string quartet and harp, but when I load 18 instruments (standard strings, winds, brass, a couple percussion) and click Play, it chokes, crackles, stutters, gets the palsy, fails. Both for simple playback from Sibelius or when trying to record with Studio. I bought a new gig of RAM for 1.25 total, then another for 2 gig total to try to solve the problem, but more money and the second gig of RAM made it worse. This new user is getting very disillusioned with GPO. Is there something I've overlooked or do I need a NASA system to run this bleeping program?

Hardware: W2000Pro, 2.4GHz CPU, 2 GB, SoundBlaster Live!. SB seems not to have ASIO so I hooked up the ASIO4all driver. I set buffer size to 510 (=max) in Studio and the driver (in the latter it can go far higher--I tried that too). I experiment with the latency compensation sliders, nothing helps.

Hi doug, sorry you're having problems, but I gotta tell you, I just got this myself, I'm doing a composition with 14 instruments and Im' using an AMD 2200 chip with 1 1/2 gigs of ram and no problems whatsoever...

Just taking a guess here, what may be happening is that for whatever reason Sibelius might be using a separate instance of the kontakt player for each instrument, meaning 18 kontakt players, which then would definitely cause your computer to choke...

I would check and make sure that Sibelius is taking 8 instruments, assigning them to one kontakt player and 8 midi channels, another 8 instruments, 2nd kontakt player, the last 2 intruments on a 3rd kontakt player... I don't work with Sibelius, so I can't check for you...

Go Back to forum