• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - 2nd drive w/sample library: help needed

Share/Bookmark

OT - 2nd drive w/sample library: help needed

Here's a technical problem I've run across that maybe someone out there has a little knowledge of.

I have two drives in my system. When my original drive began to fill up, I bought a nicer, faster, bigger second drive, and installed it as a slave to the first. I moved all my sample library over to it, since that was what was taking up so much room. I basically had no choice once I got the extended Battery library.

The problem is that programs that play samples from the second drive have very slight glitches in the sound when using these samples. Battery, Kontakt, Stormdrum, even games such as City of Heroes. I've also had glitchy playback of large Quicktime movies, and horrible performance within Sonar if I have a movie file loaded that exists on the second drive.

The glitches are usually small, but testing by moving things to the original drive shows that it's only when the app is on one drive, and the samples on another. Is there something I should know about setting up drives that would alleviate this? Optimally, I would own an even larger drive as my main, and have it contain everything I needed sound-wise. But this option means more money, and a LOT of work moving things around.

Any suggestions on what I might try here?

Thanks in advance.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: OT - 2nd drive w/sample library: help needed

A couple of questions:

Are the drives on the same controller? If on the same controller and cable, which is on the end of the controller cable? (try flipping them around)
    IS the drive 7200? what kind of sample drive?
    Did you optimize the second new sample drive?
    Did you try converting down your video files?
    What is you swap file size and memory size?
    What is your processor speed?
    What OS?

Thanks for the response. Here are some answers...

Are the drives on the same controller? - Yes

If on the same controller and cable, which is on the end of the controller cable? (try flipping them around) - New one is on the end, and as a slave. I'll try flipping, but I want them both to perform well, and this is not likely an option because of that.

IS the drive 7200? what kind of sample drive? - Yes, 7200. Not sure what the second part means.

Did you optimize the second new sample drive? - No. Not sure how to do this.

Did you try converting down your video files? - Yes. Doesn't help much, and not an option for samples.

What is you swap file size and memory size? - I don't know the swap size. I have 1 gig memory, and no other performance issues at all. As a point of reference, I can get about 50-70 GPO instruments loaded and playing in Sonar without peaking the CPU.

What is your processor speed? - Somewhere just over the 2GHz mark, I believe (not at home at the moment)/

What OS? - XP Home
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Ok, can you:

Move the Sample drive to DISK CONTROLLER #2 and put it at the end of the cable? if not, please try flipping the drives around...Make sure UDMA is on.

My question was "Who is the manufacturer of the sample drive?"

To check your swap setting, goto:

start/settings/ control panel/system/advanced/settings/advanced
    there should be a Virtual Memory section. mark it down. press change button and tell us what else it displays. then BACK OUT dont change it.

To optimize your sample and OS drive:
    start/program/accessories/system tools/disk defragmenter

Also, if you could take a snapshot of the task manager performance and processes tab (ctl-alt-del) and report back memory utilization.

With that many instruments loaded, you might be swapping memory to disk. If you only have 1 gig. You can check this yourself from task manager.

The option for you might be to lock memory in Kontack, but your apps may need swapping, and not sure you will be able to load all instruments w/o artifact drops

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Thanks for the response. Here are some answers...

Are the drives on the same controller? - Yes

If on the same controller and cable, which is on the end of the controller cable? (try flipping them around) - New one is on the end, and as a slave. I'll try flipping, but I want them both to perform well, and this is not likely an option because of that.

IS the drive 7200? what kind of sample drive? - Yes, 7200. Not sure what the second part means.

Did you optimize the second new sample drive? - No. Not sure how to do this.

Did you try converting down your video files? - Yes. Doesn't help much, and not an option for samples.

What is you swap file size and memory size? - I don't know the swap size. I have 1 gig memory, and no other performance issues at all. As a point of reference, I can get about 50-70 GPO instruments loaded and playing in Sonar without peaking the CPU.

What is your processor speed? - Somewhere just over the 2GHz mark, I believe (not at home at the moment)/

What OS? - XP Home

Go Back to forum