• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question

Share/Bookmark

Question Question

Are there any of you that use "drum tracks" in your compositions? Is there a market for this anymore?
    Just curious.
    Thanks
    Styxx

Re: Question

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Are there any of you that use "drum tracks" in your compositions? Is there a market for this anymore?
    I definitely use them, then spice them or reconfigure them with midi through Edirol-Roland Super Quartet. I've tried using WAV loops also, but have trouble matching the tempo and feel that is needed for the piece.
    (Waiting for Big Band-Jazz!)
    ... Chuck

I know of a percussionist who has drum tracks for sale on his website. I was wondering how feasible drum tracks are with the advent of todays sample drum libraries. This person is a monster on kit as well as all percussion instruments and I was thinking of using some of his tracks either in full or in part.
    If you wish, you may check out his site www.amprercussion.com scroll down and click on “Enter” scroll down and click on “Percussion Creations Volume #1” From there you should find snippets on examples, and I stress the word “EXAMPLES” because I was told they were re-recorded purposely in poor quality at the time in order to thwart the possibility of theft. The actual tracks purchased are of pristine professional studio quality and fully customizable!
    Since I have never used “drum tracks” before I was curious as to how some of you use them in your music if at all.
    Styxx

I used quite a lot of them on my first CD Red Wire. Click on the link to hear some samples. Especially evident on tracks 1 (starting at :56), 2, 4, 5, 6, and 9. These are pretty straightfoward uses, but I've since usually I used them layered with other samples, over each other, and in other non-traditional ways.

Nowadays, I've been using loops progressively less, since I have such a huge sample library and Battery & StormDrum. I still keep a stack of loop disks around, however, and occasionally throw something strange over one of my tracks.

I've also been slowly creating a collection of my own original loops that I'll be trying to market at some point. They aren't technically "drum tracks" but more organic twisted rhythmic beds.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I've just recently discovered loops, I have to say. The course I'm currently enrolled in suggest I use them as an artistic solution, since so many "customers" want that sound and rhythmic spirit.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Go Back to forum