• Register
  • Help

Topic: 4chmode failed!

Share/Bookmark

Question 4chmode failed!

I am a new GPO user (one of those group buy guys!).

I'm really excited about GPO and have already had some success with it. I use Tracktion 2, Finale 2002 and occasionally Cubase 5.1. My sound card is a MoTU 2408 MKII and I'm on an AMD 64 bit 3200 CPU.

That should get you up to speed for my question.

When I first start the GPO Studio before going into Finale, I get a sound notification from my computer and the alert:

4chMode failed!

I click the "OK" box and all seems to work fine. I just not sure of what the alert is trying to inform me. Any Ideas from the field?

Thanks

RichR

Re: 4chmode failed!

How about this: your soundcard is set up for 4 channel suround and GPO Studio does not support 4 channel surround, only stereo, hence a conflict occurs. It's just a wild guess.

I don't think that is right because the MoTu 2408 is only a stereo card. I did get the alert message wrong. It says "Set4chMode Failed!" not "4chMode Failed!"

When working in Finale and Tracktion I have no problems. I just get the beep and alert every time I start GPO Studio before using Finale.

Thanks for your comment.

RichR

Is the right driver selected in GPO Studio?

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    4chMode failed!
    This is a weird conflict between Steinberg's ASIO MME/DS Driver and
    (if i recall correctly) the driver installed by Virtual Sound Canvas.
    Please correct me if im wrong, do you have that installed?

In any case, we have a more recent version on portaudio.dll
    on our site that "blacklists" the Steinberg "fake" ASIO drivers which cause lots
    of problems with our products. Since ASIO4ALL is a better replacement, there
    really is no more needs for those drivers.

Please make a backup of
    C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\Studio\portaudio.dll and

and place this one instead:
    http://plogue.com/davidv/portaudio.dll

Idd like to hear your results.

Cheers
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

I have 8 drivers to choose from:

MME Microsoft Sound Mapper-Out(out)
    MME PCI-424 Analog 1-8(out)
    MME Roland VSC(out)
    [DirectSound]Primary Sound Driver(out)
    [DirectSound] PCI-424 Analog 1-8(out)
    [ASIO] ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver(duplex)
    [ASIO] ASIO Multimedia Driver(duplex)
    [ASIO] MOTU PCI ASIO(duplex)

I am using the last driver (that's what Tracktion is using).

And as you can see, I do have Roland VSC (I have been using it with Band In A Box).

It's great to see so many comments and so quickly. I'm not sure about changing the portaudio.dll for GPO without knowing more about the suggested change. I will investigate! Thanks for the suggestion David.

RichR

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    It's great to see so many comments and so quickly. I'm not sure about changing the portaudio.dll for GPO without knowing more about the suggested change. I will investigate! Thanks for the suggestion David.
    RichR
    portaudio.dll is only used by GPO Studio (and bidule), not by any other apps, just so you know. If you want that set4chanmode to disapear, you can either
    1)uninstall cubase and its drivers
    2)remove VSC
    3)place this dll in there

(i think the DLL is the safest bet
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

I dl'ed the portaudio.dll from David and all seems to be working fine. No "Set 4chMode Failed!" I did have to reset driver in Finale playback to get GPO Studio players to be recognized. It originally came up saying I had soundblaster Creative synth on my computer and no GPO which is not true.

My computer just froze trying to load Cubase 5.1. I'm not sure what that was about, but I'm rebooting and vhecking it again. My system is quirky and may not be related to anything here. (It was built by a friend of mine not a major company like Dell or HP or Intel or any of the big companies.)

RichR

Go Back to forum