• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Lazy Tango - a bit of fun

Share/Bookmark
    Mayor

Lazy Tango - a bit of fun

Hi Folks,
    Another bit of practice with the wonderful GPO here.

It's a simple (sort of lazy tangoey - hence the title!) thing for violin, cello and piano. I used the exquisite Gagliano KS, the equally impressive Solo Cello 2 and of course the wonderfully resonant Steinway Grand.

Had a load of fun messing with the KS settings but in the end settled for what you get here - I could carry on tweaking forever!

The reverb is the Lexicon Pantheon 'Small Hall' hopefully not overdone.

All worked in Sonar 4 PE.

Hope you like.

Cheers,

John

Re: Lazy Tango - a bit of fun

MAN! WHAT THE HECK! Can't downloaded it here. I'll have to try later at home.
    Styxx

Beautifully done, John!

Some real artistry, here -- very well balanced and executed, both technically and as a composition.

My applause!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

John B:

My applause too. Your use of the Steinway is a lot better sounding than mine and I'm a professional pianist (but not a professional computer musician, yet).

Yes, it was very enjoyable and refreshing. The site was tremendous and the picture at left really gave some additional atmosphere to the music........

Some more, please.........

John
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    MAN! WHAT THE HECK! Can't downloaded it here. I'll have to try later at home.
    Thanks for trying Styxx! If there's a problem listening next time just let me know.
    John

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Beautifully done, John!

Some real artistry, here -- very well balanced and executed, both technically and as a composition.

My applause!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you so much for those extremely kind comments David. I'm so glad you enjoyed the piece. Many thanks.
    John

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    My applause too. Your use of the Steinway is a lot better sounding than mine and I'm a professional pianist (but not a professional computer musician, yet).

Yes, it was very enjoyable and refreshing. The site was tremendous and the picture at left really gave some additional atmosphere to the music........

Some more, please.........

John
    Hello John and many thanks to you too for those very encouraging comments - but I'm having none of it as far as the Steinway is concerned!! We probably all think at times that others do better than ourselves at some things - it's human nature - but that doesn't necessarily make it true!
    I wish I could actually play the piano like you as a pro pianist - instead I have to spend ages in the piano roll view repairing the damage and adding the bits my poor fingers couldn't manage!!
    Thanks too for the comments about the site and I'm so glad you liked the little image that went with it.
    John

Damn, I can't hear the bloody thing although I want to very badly. Is there any way I can download it rather than just listen to it on the site because the plugin or whatever it is won't play

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by requiem_aeternam7
    Damn, I can't hear the bloody thing although I want to very badly. Is there any way I can download it rather than just listen to it on the site because the plugin or whatever it is won't play
    Hi,
    I'm sorry you can't get it to play - I know I can't get it to stream normally from that site and I'm not sure exactly how I can resolve this but I'll have a think and come up with some sort of solution. I just hope you're not disappointed when you finally do hear it!!!
    John

Hi again. I've added a second link on the page. If you click on it normally it should open a player in a new screen (like most of the pieces in this forum). It seemed to work for me. I'm not sure whether or not you can right click and download it on that second link, but it's worth a try. If you're still having probs let me know.
    John

John what a genuine pleasure this was......I haven't heard any nicer tango and played in that intimate genteel style of a bygone era....before my time but much lamented nevertheless.

Your composition is charming and wonderful and I have taken the liberty to place this on my Southern England Nancyboy hard disk......I may be wrong but I thought that the Windows media player link had a better, richer sound?

You have captured the feel of all the instruments remarkably well following what I imagine would be hours of careful MIDI work. I think that this is one of (perhaps) the finest exhibitions of MIDI skills applied to GPO strings and just reminds us all of the potential which lies there waiting to be brought out by the application of patience and MIDI knowledge......the frog and the princess if you like....(you're the princess BTW.....just in case you're worrying )

The dynamics and realism you've achieved is remarkable. I've always said that a cheaper library used with knowledge, care and attention can better the expensive libraries played out of the box like a piano with no sensitivity to each instruments' true sound and dynamics. This piece would have been useless without your MIDI skills.....the beautiful composition and arrangement could have been buried under lazy unadulterated sample use. You can get away with murder with a string section and a load of reverb but these exposed instruments just have to be executed properly.

As far as I'm concerned, at least, every second you spent tweaking has been worth it......I'm on my around my tenth or so cycle as I write this and haven't tired of it yet!

I don't know if Gary has anything like this on his demo page ...but this is good....and different from the usual run of the mill IMHO.

Thanks for this.

Frank

PS Only the minutest personal point I would like to make would be that the plucked run at 38s was just a dash too loud?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast