• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: FYI... Tiger comes with midi over LAN and audio over LAN!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up FYI... Tiger comes with midi over LAN and audio over LAN!

I didn't know this until today.. But apparently Tiger comes with some pretty cool stuff. Two new AU's for streaming audio over a LAN (AU NetSend and NetReceive). Also midi over LAN has been worked directly into core MIDI. There was limited information out there, I did alot of searching....

The few users out there who are using the new SW say it works very well. I imagine MIDI over LAN is very stable as it's built into core MIDI. Audio streaming apparently works fairly well too...

Is anyone out there using these plug-ins? I just got a new dual 2.3 G5, as soon as I get a licence of Tiger to install on my G4 I will be testing everything... I really want to use my G4 as a virtual inst rack, I'd be nice if I didn't have to go the hardware route.

Comments? I've attached screenshots.

Re: FYI... Tiger comes with midi over LAN and audio over LAN!

Equally important - does it work with PCs, or only other Tiger boxes? If there are PC drivers, I'll really be looking forward to it.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

i have yet to get tiger on my g5, but if there is pc drivers, that would make my day!

PC drivers would be essential for my setup (G5 DAW and slave PCs for instruments). Replacing all my slave PCs with Macs isn't a realistic option.

I've been browsing the OSX Audio forums and there are a couple of folks posting that seem to be using it.

However, I can't quite tell from thier post how it works. It appears you have to a host on the other compuoter that can also do AU send/receive

I haven't seen any info that says it works on PC.

I want to know the usual: latency and how many tracks
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

Hi,

when you try the midi-over-lan, I'd be really interested to get
    a protocol-sniff of this conversation over the network.

Using that, I could possibly adapt my windows midi-over-
    ethernet-driver to be compatible to the Apple-Solution...

Best regards,
    Tobias

The audio over LAN plug-ins most likely will work on any host that supports AU. However I'm willing to bet that the Midi over ethernet that's built into core midi will be over a proprietary protocol layered on top of TCP or UDP... so i imagine that you'll need another tiger box to do it.

It's fortuante for me that I do not have any windows boxes I use for audio, just my G5 and G4. When I get tiger on my G4 I'll run through an ethereal trace to see what protocols it's using for audio and midi. I'll also evaluate latency, tracks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordo
    just my G5 and G4. When I get tiger on my G4 I'll run through an ethereal trace to see what protocols it's using for audio and midi. I'll also evaluate latency, tracks, etc.
    If you could provide me with an ethereal trace, that would be
    really great. If they didn't try to fully reinvent the wheel, it
    should be possible to adapt my Windows-MIDI-driver to be
    compatible...

Tobias

The question is where the AUNetReceive plug-in is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    The question is where the AUNetReceive plug-in is.
    available under AU Generators in Inst channels in Logic... you need the 7.1 update to use the new Generators I believe....

Go Back to forum