• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just a Girl

Share/Bookmark

Just a Girl

Hi,

I've just finished GPO-ing this piece from our musical. It's a short duet between 2 principal characters.

I'd be interested to hear how it sounds on different speakers, the mix, vocal "essing", bass booming etc... since the difference between a good set of headphones and a pair of studio monitors can often be quite noticeable, as can the differences in music systems/PC speakers/surround sound etc. I'd appreciate any comments regarding the sound, and if anything stands out as being badly out of balance.

Many thanks in advance,
    Kin

Just A Girl
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up Re: Just a Girl

I just left a musical company this past May. This is a very interesting and moving piece! Only one slight suggestion and this is coming from 15 years experience in theatre. If you are going to use prerecorded for the musical, back off or do not use any reverb in the mix. 99.99% of the time the hall takes care of the ambience. Of course, you may already know this.
    Nice piece and I don't understand why no one else has listened. (?)
    Styxx

Re: Just a Girl

Kin:

Sounds like a really great musical comedy duet; however, both vocalists voices are totally obliterated by the music. Put them "out front" and you have a winning combination.

Good Stuff.....

John
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Just a Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I just left a musical company this past May. This is a very interesting and moving piece! Only one slight suggestion and this is coming from 15 years experience in theatre. If you are going to use prerecorded for the musical, back off or do not use any reverb in the mix. 99.99% of the time the hall takes care of the ambience. Of course, you may already know this.
    Nice piece and I don't understand why no one else has listened. (?)
    Thanks for the advice Styxx. I did read your Wizard of Oz 'journals' (we are doing the same show this year!). I've also been directing musical theatre for 11 years

With regard to pre-recorded music, this is just for a CD for the new cast to listen to. On the night we will be using a live orchestra. Glad you liked the little ditty

John, thanks for your comments about the vocals. That's the kind of info I needed since on my set up, the vocals are perfectly clear, and on headphones, even better. I worried about bringing them up front too much.
    It's good to know what the sound is like on other systems.

Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Go Back to forum