• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT- Laptop Screen!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy OT- Laptop Screen!!!!

Hi Everyone!

I need help! I have a problem with my Powerbook G4 Titanium 667 Mhz 512 MB ram, 15.1 Screen Laptop!

It has started to display the screen with some distortion, and fuzziness, as seen here. Notice the distortion and fuzziness on the right side of the screen. (Awe - cute pic of my daughter Claire - uhm - anyway. )

Well, sometimes (lately a lot) it does more like THIS

Normally, I would say the screen is bad - but it comes and goes - and sometimes if I wiggle things just right, it comes up fine. That tells me it is a loose connection or wire or something.

Any computer GURUs that can help suggest what to do? It is no longer under warranty and I did find a CD on eBay of Apple Service Manuals that would help me figure things out and stuff, but I would like to get a further opinion too from ANYONE who knows this stuff at all or has had similar problems?

I cannot really afford the $350+ to get the screen replaced right now. I have been using an external monitor (big 17 inch crt I keep stashed away at work) I am hoping it is just a loose wire or connection (when I accessed the computer underneath the keyboard, I saw my internal modem was loose (disconnected) and I put it back in its place - so I am hoping that perhaps it is just a matter of that. I am hopeful - but not confident.

Thanks,

Jerry Wickham

(I'd die without having my laptop )
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: OT- Laptop Screen!!!!

Looks like I wasn't alone with the same problem with an IBM ThinkPad. Same type of display problem. I can ask my IT tech teacher here at school. Never bothered before because this unit belongs to the school.
    Be back ASAP.

BTW - I have my eye on a Powerbook, nice!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Looks like I wasn't alone with the same problem with an IBM ThinkPad. Same type of display problem. I can ask my IT tech teacher here at school. Never bothered before because this unit belongs to the school.
    Be back ASAP.

BTW - I have my eye on a Powerbook, nice!
    I appreciate it. there ole' buddy ole' pal.

If you get a powerbook, make sure to get the fastest one you can afford, and MAX out the ram (2 GB is the max)

I have a VERY low powered one, but I am able to do quite a lot of stuff with it still. (Tracktion was a GODSEND!!) I do a lot of preliminary work on this and then do the final and more heavy stuff on my iMac. I used this puppy every day - I bring it to the hotel and work on stuff there. Sometimes (lately) it is the only time I have to work on music. So NOT having it is not an option.
    Thanks again Styxx for looking into it for me.

Jerry Wickham

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

I had similar problems in the past and had various sources. I do hate laptops sometimes:

Cable noise or loose connection to the screen.
    Bad Video chip.
    Too high a resolution (you better check the settings)

But most likely its a hardware issue. Would suggest you not screw around and take it into the shop. Save your headaches for Giga!

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    I had similar problems in the past and had various sources. I do hate laptops sometimes:

Cable noise or loose connection to the screen.
    Bad Video chip.
    Too high a resolution (you better check the settings)

But most likely its a hardware issue. Would suggest you not screw around and take it into the shop. Save your headaches for Giga!
    Yes, IT tech teach says the same and most likely a bad video chip. He also recommends not messing with it yourself and take it in. He just changed my video chip and checked all other possibilities in his shop. It's too early to tell but no problems so far.
    The powerbook I am looking at I would use when we do the GPO Orchestra. Afterwards, I plan on giving it to my daughter who has an older Mac and GPO but not enough in it to run properly.
    Styxx

I do kind of like the blurry images though...sort of like a blue lava lamp!

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    I do kind of like the blurry images though...sort of like a blue lava lamp!
    Thanks to you all for responding. I think I will try taking it in (the closest place is 1.2 hours away).

I am good with service manuals, but don't want to risk doing something extraordinarily stupid. As low powered as it is for a GPO machine, it is the only one I can take with me to work.

Thanks again.

Newmewzikboy, trust me when I say, lava lamps are MUCH nicer to look at and way less stressful

Jerry Wickham

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Yes, IT tech teach says the same and most likely a bad video chip..

Well, thinking about it, i don't believe it is a bad video chip. If it were the video chip, I would have the same problems when running the external CRT monitor.
    No, this HAS to be loose connection or a wire has gone bad or something. I'll take it in as soon as I can afford the cost of getting it diagnosed and repaired.

Thanks again guys,

Jerry Wickham

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Go Back to forum