• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    Sadly, my KX-88 is dying. Figuring that out was, in itself, an interesting story. It wasn't like a massive coronary but rather a stuck note here and there to begin with, becoming worse over a few weeks, and eventually blasts of notes from heaven (or hell? Anyway, I wasn't playing them), combined with pitch bend, sustain pedal, etc....or no notes. The best assessment I can get is that it is likely one of the I/Cs more than a cold solder connection. Although still under palliative care, I think it is time to put it down so I'm planning its funeral. These things don't last forever. I bought it in 1984 I think, so 21 years isn't a bad run.

    If anyone needs mechanical parts, please send me a private note. Although I gigged with it quite a bit over the years, it was always moved around in a hard case so the physical condition is good. Might be a good source for keys, end plates, etc.

    Anyone with a KX-88 or similar older controller, take heed. The problems this caused in sorting out the source of the problem were ugly. For some strange reason, the stuck notes were initially NOT evident on every piece of software (HALion and Kontakt2), and the problem was a little different with different audio cards. Not to mention changing MIDI cables, checking for pedal shorts, trying different controllers...ugggh. It was a real pain in the butt, but finally got bad enough that it was was dead obvious what was going on.

    I've opted for a Roland RD700-SX to replace it. Hopefully, I'll get the same level of service over the next couple of decades...

  2. #2

    Thumbs up Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    I have 2 KX 88's that I'm constantly using live for over 20 years as well !
    It really has to be the best investment I have ever made for an electronic musical instrument. i did thousands of gig with them and they still keep going on strong !

    Thanks Yamaha !

    Peace

    Yves

  3. #3

    Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    Clink -

    There's something very odd about loosing a keyboard. Even as samples, computers, everything....changes and is disposable, there remains the same old keyboard. It becomes a member of the family.

    RIP KX-88

    Joanne

  4. #4

    Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    Yes, this has been a great piece of gear - doesn't owe me a thing. I agree, it is interesting to think back on the music, the people and the gear during my time with the Yammie. I'm keeping the foot controller and sustain pedal to keep the memories alive! May your 'boards keep ticking for another 20!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    I still have two KX-5's which I adore. Many happy gig memories there. And they're still great for programming bass lines, etc., due to the location and feel of the whammy strip. Very intuitive for fretless style vibrato, etc.

  6. #6

    Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    Sadly, my KX-88 is dying. Figuring that out was, in itself, an interesting story. It wasn't like a massive coronary but rather a stuck note here and there to begin with, becoming worse over a few weeks, and eventually blasts of notes from heaven (or hell? Anyway, I wasn't playing them), combined with pitch bend, sustain pedal, etc....or no notes. The best assessment I can get is that it is likely one of the I/Cs more than a cold solder connection. Although still under palliative care, I think it is time to put it down so I'm planning its funeral. These things don't last forever. I bought it in 1984 I think, so 21 years isn't a bad run.

    If anyone needs mechanical parts, please send me a private note. Although I gigged with it quite a bit over the years, it was always moved around in a hard case so the physical condition is good. Might be a good source for keys, end plates, etc.

    Anyone with a KX-88 or similar older controller, take heed. The problems this caused in sorting out the source of the problem were ugly. For some strange reason, the stuck notes were initially NOT evident on every piece of software (HALion and Kontakt2), and the problem was a little different with different audio cards. Not to mention changing MIDI cables, checking for pedal shorts, trying different controllers...ugggh. It was a real pain in the butt, but finally got bad enough that it was was dead obvious what was going on.

    I've opted for a Roland RD700-SX to replace it. Hopefully, I'll get the same level of service over the next couple of decades...

    Hi,

    I have also a wonderful KX88 /1988/ and I am interested in the parts too if it is not too late....
    One important question where can I find the litium battery inside the board???
    Thanks in advance

    Robert

  7. #7

    Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson View Post
    I still have two KX-5's which I adore. Many happy gig memories there. And they're still great for programming bass lines, etc., due to the location and feel of the whammy strip. Very intuitive for fretless style vibrato, etc.
    I can't get my KX88 out of Dual Mode. My contacts on the left side of the board have rust on them. I'm not sure if that is preventing them from good contact. I have tried everything under the sun to get out of Dual Mode, and cannot. I tried cleanning the contacts with WD40, but now am going to attempt to clean them with alcohol.

    Any suggestions on what parts I may need to replace would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and do you know anyone in the Los Angeles or Orange County area that works on these by any chance?

    Thanks again.

  8. #8

    Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by msalas View Post
    I can't get my KX88 out of Dual Mode. My contacts on the left side of the board have rust on them. I'm not sure if that is preventing them from good contact. I have tried everything under the sun to get out of Dual Mode, and cannot. I tried cleanning the contacts with WD40, but now am going to attempt to clean them with alcohol.

    Any suggestions on what parts I may need to replace would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and do you know anyone in the Los Angeles or Orange County area that works on these by any chance?

    Thanks again.
    ..It is a mysterious and uncommon quirk. Quite upsetting! You can use a midi filter or software filter. It seems it's hard to fix in some cases though there are numerous otions on forums. Speaking from exp. it's best not to get too involved and just use the Midifilter. Best.

  9. #9

    Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    Very cool entry and I so satisfied that I have found this useful information. I will definitely bookmark your site and visit this website again in the future. Thanks a lot for posting this valuable info for us. King regards!




    binary option trading

  10. #10

    Re: My dying Yamaha KX-88 - anyone need parts?

    I do not have much time to visit many websites. But today I found this site by accident. I explored much good information which is useful for my life in the future. Thanks!

    how to be positive

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •