• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trumpet Articulations

Share/Bookmark

Trumpet Articulations

I apologize if this topic has been covered ad nauseum and I'm not always good at researching topics on these sites, so......here goes.

I'm looking for tips and tricks on replicating more "realistic" tones for trumpets in an orchestral setting some solo and some at part of the orchestra background. I've never heard trumpet samples sound authentic and maybe that's not possible, but I'm working on a guitar concerto that has trumpets that end up sounding rather poorly even with some articulations and volume control settings.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Trumpet Articulations

Quote Originally Posted by spockmeister
    I apologize if this topic has been covered ad nauseum and I'm not always good at researching topics on these sites, so......here goes.

I'm looking for tips and tricks on replicating more "realistic" tones for trumpets in an orchestral setting some solo and some at part of the orchestra background. I've never heard trumpet samples sound authentic and maybe that's not possible, but I'm working on a guitar concerto that has trumpets that end up sounding rather poorly even with some articulations and volume control settings.

I'm using GPO's Trumpet Overlay AG (aggresive) and find myself more than happy with the samples. I really love them. I also love the French Horn and Tuba Overlay AG's. Beauties all! No tips/tricks though...just write great music and the samples will follow!

At least that's been my experience... of course, to each his own!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by spockmeister

Spock,
    Hi. How are you entering the music? Quantized into a sequencer? Notation? What's the nature of the music? Flashy triplets? hard sfz's? Legato?

GENERAL ADVICE:
    *In GPO, volume probably ought to be on a "set-and-forget" basis to establish general levels. Loudness for GPO brass comes via CC1, not CC7.
    *Randomize note lengths.
    *In GPO brass, Velocity=attack, so legato passages should have low velocity and soloistic fanfares should have high velocity.
    *Legato notes should be full length. Staccatos should be 50-60% of written note and humanized for start/stop times
    *Apply GPO's VAR1 and VAR2, especially to rapid fanfarish or multiple-tongue passages--these are additional humanization parameters that avoid some of the telltale signs of synth brass.
    *NO sample library has brass that sound 100% excellent when soloed. GPO brass does well at it.
    *Brass sound best when mixed
    *If you use X-Custom, realize that brass tone gets edgier as it rises in range. So apply a judicious amount of GPO brightness if the parts are fanfarish and upper-register.

Hope these generalities help.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I don't know if your remarks helped Spock, but they sure helped me. And I a brass player! Anyway, I especially appreciated the randomize tip, and the reminder to use VAR1 and VAR2.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Spock,
    Hi. How are you entering the music? Quantized into a sequencer? Notation? What's the nature of the music? Flashy triplets? hard sfz's? Legato?

GENERAL ADVICE:
    *In GPO, volume probably ought to be on a "set-and-forget" basis to establish general levels. Loudness for GPO brass comes via CC1, not CC7.
    *Randomize note lengths.
    *In GPO brass, Velocity=attack, so legato passages should have low velocity and soloistic fanfares should have high velocity.
    *Legato notes should be full length. Staccatos should be 50-60% of written note and humanized for start/stop times
    *Apply GPO's VAR1 and VAR2, especially to rapid fanfarish or multiple-tongue passages--these are additional humanization parameters that avoid some of the telltale signs of synth brass.
    *NO sample library has brass that sound 100% excellent when soloed. GPO brass does well at it.
    *Brass sound best when mixed
    *If you use X-Custom, realize that brass tone gets edgier as it rises in range. So apply a judicious amount of GPO brightness if the parts are fanfarish and upper-register.

Hope these generalities help.
    Jim

Go Back to forum