• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Live solo piano setup w/ G4 Powerbook?

Share/Bookmark

Live solo piano setup w/ G4 Powerbook?

Greetings, newbie here, new to this world of 24 bit piano samples, but have been a full-time performing jazz pianist for about 13 years,playing for 37 years.

Just replaced my aging Kurzweil PC88 with a Roland FP-5 and being the dinosaur that I am technically, was unaware that far superior piano sounds were available for my Mac G4 Powerbook. So I bought the PMI Ipianos for Garageband and found it to be a far too watered down version of their 24 bit samples (16 bits, only three levels of velocity, etc.). Soooooo...

Now I need advice on software that will allow me to use the big samples during live performance. I see so many different names out there (Gigastudio, Logic, Kontakt, etc.)

I just want something fairly simple that will allow me to play using the most realistic piano samples available. I do a lot of solo work. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did a search on "live piano performance" but couldn't get a handle on what to do.

I will be taking the Powerbook to the gig along with the Roland FP-5, which has decent built-in speakers with audio input capability so I will run the sound output from the Mac back into the ketboard. 1.67 ghz, 512 ram, 80 gig harddrive.

THANKS!!!!

Re: Live solo piano setup w/ G4 Powerbook?

Quote Originally Posted by farmboy
    Greetings, newbie here, new to this world of 24 bit piano samples, but have been a full-time performing jazz pianist for about 13 years,playing for 37 years.

Just replaced my aging Kurzweil PC88 with a Roland FP-5 and being the dinosaur that I am technically, was unaware that far superior piano sounds were available for my Mac G4 Powerbook. So I bought the PMI Ipianos for Garageband and found it to be a far too watered down version of their 24 bit samples (16 bits, only three levels of velocity, etc.). Soooooo...

Now I need advice on software that will allow me to use the big samples during live performance. I see so many different names out there (Gigastudio, Logic, Kontakt, etc.)

I just want something fairly simple that will allow me to play using the most realistic piano samples available. I do a lot of solo work. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did a search on "live piano performance" but couldn't get a handle on what to do.

I will be taking the Powerbook to the gig along with the Roland FP-5, which has decent built-in speakers with audio input capability so I will run the sound output from the Mac back into the ketboard. 1.67 ghz, 512 ram, 80 gig harddrive.

THANKS!!!!
    Hi.

The samplers you should look into are HALion and Kontakt. Gigastudio is a great sampler, but doesn't work on Mac's.
    Both HALion and Kontakt can stream from disc which means that the don't have to load every sample into RAM. This allows you to use very big sampled pianos.
    Both Kontakt and HALion work as standalone as well as VST instruments.

Then it comes to the matter of choosing a piano....
    There are a lot of the out there, we, SampleTekk, have quite a few, both for direct downloading (sale right now, 50% discount...), and very big samplesets on DVD's.
    There are also PMI, Vintaudio, Bardstown and other companies that all makes great pianos.
    You might also check out Ivory from Ilio.

Good luck
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Thanks so much for your reply! I was beginning to think I might have asked too stupid a question for what appears to be a very technical and highminded forum. I just want to be able to play and have it sound as good as possible. I will certainly look at your site as well as checking into the other suggestions. Take care and thanks again.

Don't forget Hans Adamson's marvellous Malmsjö piano

http://www.artvista.net/Malmsjo%20Acoustic%20Grand.html

and his forthcoming Steinway B.

Any ideas on when that will be available, Hans?

Quote Originally Posted by farmboy

THANKS!!!!
    I would second Worra´s statement. You can use both, Halion and Kontakt as standalone applications so you don´t need a host like V-Stack or others. If you need a host I would reccommend RAX. It´s cheap, doesn´t need a lot of CPU and works with AU plugins. Coming to samples to feed either Kontakt or Halion......It´s a matter of taste.

I personally reccommend Sampletekk´s Steiny D or white grand jr. if you want to use them exclusively on a powerbook as BIG libraries (like the Black Grand or the White Grand) though they sound even better put a lot of stress on your cpu and/or harddisk. I found the pianos I mentioned a good compromise if you want to play live (and they are rather cheap!). One other choice would be PMI´s Boesendorfer plugin. An excellent piano but can be demanding on cpu and hd (especially with PB´s which are not the fastest laptops on earth).

The malmsjö which has been mentioned is one of my personal favourites but it´s not everybody´s cup of tea. You either like it or don´t, it depends on your style of music.

One final tip: Get a fast internal (7200 rpm, 8 Mbyte) harddisk. I had a 4200 rpm disk before in my PB and there is NO WAY to stream big sample libraries. I think you got aa 5400 rpm hd so it might perform well. Just try it.

Summary:
    Samplers: Kontakt 2 (marvellous), Halion 3
    Libraries: Sampletekk´s Steiny D, White GRand jr., PMI Boesendorfer, Altvista Malmsjö
    Hosts (if any): RAX, V-Stack

Good luck and have fun
    Raindog

PS: Get more RAM. 1 GByte for large libraries will make you and your harddisk live longer

Thanks guys,next dumb question....

What is a host? (Rax,etc.) Will it provide enough benefits to justify lugging it along to the gig? I have been trying to pare down my road kit for years and am reluctant to load this old mule down again

Re RAM: I have 2 GB RAM on my powerbook (and it costs, I know) but it works absolutely beautifully. Couldn't work with anything less...

While waiting for replies from the local genius population, I have figured out what a host is and that I can play the Ivory collection of pianos on my Mac using only Rax, which is free unless I want to record or use multiple instruments. For simply playing live on a gig it would suffice nicely.

In case anyone else reads this thread that would appear to be the most simple and economical solution.

I appreciate the input from those who replied. Especially Raindog who hipped me to Rax (sort of). Thanks and happy bit twiddling. Adios.

You might wanna check this baby out: www.museresearch.com
    Going on the road with a laptop can be a bit, well, adventures...
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Don't forget Hans Adamson's marvellous Malmsjö piano

http://www.artvista.net/Malmsjo%20Acoustic%20Grand.html

and his forthcoming Steinway B.

Any ideas on when that will be available, Hans?
    John,

It will be shipping within two weeks.

Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net/
    Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net/

Go Back to forum