• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Synful

Share/Bookmark

Synful

I applaud you, Eric.

Modeling, not sampling, is the evolution of music technology. The platform of gigantic, bloated, expensive sample libraries that require more programming than musicianship has to collapse under its own weight at some point.

Samples have always been a stepping stone to something better. Now we have libraries that require hundreds of MIDI tracks and countless hours of twiddling (not *playing*) to coax music out of them.

You deserve the Nobel Prize for Music Technology.

When will you have something regarding sections that we can hear?

Re: Synful

mitch, i just downloaded the synful plug yesterday, and it is amazing. But regarding the twiddling, what do you think composers sitting next to a piano with staff paper do other than endless hours of twiddling??

But congrats to Eric. I've found the trumpet, violin, English horn, and viola very usable and stunningly beautiful. The cello and trombone are passable. Maybe with more experience using the volume/expression controller, those will be usable as well.

The flute, oboe, horn and bass don't seem quite ready for primetime. But the instruments that are good are so good, it don't matter that much to me.

I downloaded Synful and played with it. It sounds like complete crap to me. Maybe I missed something...

maybe you did. One thing I noticed is you have to practice it. You've really gotta pay attention to velocity and the range you are in. Also, it sounds pretty ~~~~e without the delay for expression button on. It's kind of a pain to play it that way as well, which to me is the biggest problem. You've got to remember what it sounded like with the delay button on, and hope you are performing it correctly with it off, so that when you put it back on, you get good results.

Anything that uses modeling requires practice; you're emulating an instrument with different physical characteristics than the synth keyboard, so you must adapt your playing style to the processes designed into the emulation - this can require controllers you don't have (breath, ribbon, dedicated sliders, etc.) to fully realize the capabililty of the model. If the docs explaing this, and how the controllers work together to obtain the desired effect (and when performed this way, the sound is accurate,) then the app is ready for prime time.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by metrobot
    mitch, i just downloaded the synful plug yesterday, and it is amazing. But regarding the twiddling, what do you think composers sitting next to a piano with staff paper do other than endless hours of twiddling??

I think that creative twiddling is much different than twiddling in order to beg the technology to give us what we want.

After playing with Opus 1, it seems that unless you have minions to crank your composition through this factory, the creative process is seriously obstructed by the current trend towards massive libraries.

I appreciate the heroic efforts that went into making the gigantic libraries, but the developers have lost sight of the forest through the trees.

Synful is the beginning of the revolution, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchb2
    I think that creative twiddling is much different than twiddling in order to beg the technology to give us what we want.

After playing with Opus 1, it seems that unless you have minions to crank your composition through this factory, the creative process is seriously obstructed by the current trend towards massive libraries.

I appreciate the heroic efforts that went into making the gigantic libraries, but the developers have lost sight of the forest through the trees.

Synful is the beginning of the revolution, I think.
    I think (hope) you are right I am a tad concerned with some of the instruments on Synful and even the good ones (like the violin) still have some issues. Also Gary's modeling violin has basically been held off on release due to some issues. As much as I WANT this technology be ready for prime time now, I am certain over the next 12-18 months we will see refinement here. For now I hold onto VSL pro.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

This is just a guy noodling after having the plug for about 30 minutes. No edits. Robert Kral:

http://www.synful.com/User%20Demo%20...Synful%201.mp3
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    This is just a guy noodling after having the plug for about 30 minutes. No edits. Robert Kral:

http://www.synful.com/User%20Demo%20...Synful%201.mp3
    That's pretty good noodling..much better than what I could get out of the demo. I guess the thing that I find unrealistic is that the instruments tend to sound alike. IN this demo the flute and the violin have very similar sonic characteristics to my ears. It reminds me when I used to do all my sequencing in on a Roland XP board...all the instruments started sounding the same, perhaps because everything went through the same oscillators..(?)..but that's what I'm hearing with this Synful stuff. Now I like to mix samples from various libraries because it seems to make my work more dimensional.

I keep hearing about Synful being the latest jaw dropping music maker, but I don't think it's for me...Has a very retro, one dimensional sound to my ears.

Good job on the demo, though..

I can't even begin to comprehend where you're coming from with that opinion, but to each their own.

Go Back to forum