• Register
  • Help

Topic: NEW WClock from ANTELOPE AUDIO

Share/Bookmark

NEW WClock from ANTELOPE AUDIO

Anyone used this box yet?

Any thoughts vs. Big Ben?

He designed the Aardvark boxes. It has 2 more outs than the Ben.

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/products_iso.html

Best,
    Didier

Re: NEW WClock from ANTELOPE AUDIO

bump....

any wordclock revelations?

DR

I haven't heard either box and don't really understand the jitter specs manufacturers publish (there are different ways of measuring it, for example at different frequencies), so I can't help.

My experience is that the difference between WC generators isn't important. What is important is that you distribute clock rather than using embedded clock. And some boxes, such as the old Digidesign 888 and 888/24, sound a lot better when clocked with anything

However, a friend of mine whose ears I trust says that I only say that because I haven't heard the Big Ben. He says the difference with his MOTU boxes is so great even his untrained wife can easily hear it. (His wife is trained to roll over and play dead while he sits and begs, but she doesn't have trained ears.)

So go figure. According to Bob Katz, there's something wrong if a box sounds better clocked externally, since it's much easier to design an internal clock (no PLL, etc.). But I think it depends on the boxes.

Aardvark becomes Antelope

He will be haunted by Aark audio card users till the end of his (business) life.

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=11830

Cheers,

ck

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    I haven't heard either box and don't really understand the jitter specs manufacturers publish (there are different ways of measuring it, for example at different frequencies), so I can't help.

My experience is that the difference between WC generators isn't important. What is important is that you distribute clock rather than using embedded clock. And some boxes, such as the old Digidesign 888 and 888/24, sound a lot better when clocked with anything

However, a friend of mine whose ears I trust says that I only say that because I haven't heard the Big Ben. He says the difference with his MOTU boxes is so great even his untrained wife can easily hear it. (His wife is trained to roll over and play dead while he sits and begs, but she doesn't have trained ears.)

So go figure. According to Bob Katz, there's something wrong if a box sounds better clocked externally, since it's much easier to design an internal clock (no PLL, etc.). But I think it depends on the boxes.
    Exactly as Dan Lavry claims also. If an external clock greaatly improves tthe sound of your convertors than the box you are using is poor.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Thanks for the replies. I agree distribution is the way to go.

Nick, I actually had the pleasure of learning about recording as a young teen from Bob Katz when we did many records for Chesky in NYC. In reality I learned how little I actually knew....(some things never change :-))

Custom electronics, mic placement, learning to stay out of the way and keep quiet... They were all very generous and nuturing. The Antelope box, whilst not as sturdy as BBen, has 2 more outs on it. Saves the need for getting a Dist Amp as well for more discrete outs, in order to avoid the daisy chain effect....

Sorry to hear about the AArdvark issues on the other thred. Thanks for the link.

Nick, congrats again on the mag. I await the first issue. Well done!

Best,
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    What is important is that you distribute clock rather than using embedded clock.
    Nick, could you elaborate on this, when talking about a multiple PC setup? I thought it was common practice to use your master clock generator as the source for all WC..

Roy

Go Back to forum