• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt on second machine...

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt on second machine...

Hi,

DAW 1 has Kontakt/Cubase SX
    DAW 2 has Gigastudio v2.5

DAW2 transfers sound to DAW1 through 2 ADAT lightpipe cables from RME soundcard allowing four separate stereo channels to flow from DAW2 to DAW1.

On DAW 1 Cubase SX, for tracks using Giga samples, I need to setup both a midi track and an audio track to enable recording audio tracks for giga sounds coming from DAW 2.

Naturally on DAW 1 when I use a VST like Kontakt (which also resides on DAW1) , I only need to set up a midi track and Cubase automatically provides me with a separate audio track.

For some reason, I can't predict if I load KONTAKT on DAW 2 would I still need two tracks in Cubase on DAW 1 (1 midi track and 1 audio track) for Kontakt sounds as I need with Gigastudio? I know Kontakt is a VST, but does the automatic creation of an audio track in Cubase still hold true when VST is on another machine connected via lightpipe?

Thanks,
    Joanne

Re: Kontakt on second machine...

Hey Joanne, as long as Kontakt is piped into the RME card on DAW-1 it should record as an audio track just like you say.

Another option would be to get FX-Teleport and connect your two daws with network cards, you could then open up Kontakt on DAW-2 as a true VST showing up in Cubase.

You could also try a program like VStack (havent had any personal experience with it) to load Kontakt and other VSTs on DAW-2.

Let me know if I can help.

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Thanks again Scott. I think I understand. I will have the same issue with Kontakt on DAW 2 that I have with GS - I will need to manually create both a midi and an audio track in Cubase SX with my present setup of lightpipe and toggle back and forth between the two machines whenever I want to load/adjust patches.

I better understand now the value of FXTeleport (you've been suggesting this for only 3 years...). If I put Kontakt on DAW2 and connect via FXTeleport, I would not have the second step of creating an audio track for Kontakt instruments, and would not have to toggle back and forth between machines, as Kontakt and the various samples would be accessable all on DAW 1 as VST, just as it is now. Does this also mean I would not be restricted to my DAW2 audio card's 4 stereo out channels? I think I remember you saying no actual audio flows from DAW2 to DAW1 with Teleport. Naturally I'm now thinking ahead to GS which is also on DAW2 and not clearly seeing how that would work with Teleport.

Also - not sure if I told you how helpful the conf call was a few months ago. I believe you and Doug concluded I wasn't seeing something i should have been seeing and once we applied an RME patch, it showed up and I was able to get four separate audio channels going from Daw2 to Daw1 for GS.

Joanne

I use V-STack and it works fine with Kontakt and other VST instruments on my PC. Since I use Logic on a Mac, I haven't been able to use FXTeleport, but I understand that they are working on a cross platform version. Hope it comes out soon!

Leon,
    (and I don't know if this applies to Joanne)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatza Music
    I use V-STack and it works fine with Kontakt and other VST instruments on my PC. Since I use Logic on a Mac, I haven't been able to use FXTeleport, but I understand that they are working on a cross platform version. Hope it comes out soon!
    the last I saw at the Max site is that they 'jumped' the gun with MAC support. I read it in some developments or news sections last week.

How are you getting your sound from PC to Logic/Mac? Lightpipe?

I've been looking at the OSX audio forums and see products like: JACK and Wormhole. JACK is Mac only where as Wormhole is PC/Mac
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Does this also mean I would not be restricted to my DAW2 audio card's 4 stereo out channels? I think I remember you saying no actual audio flows from DAW2 to DAW1 with Teleport. Naturally I'm now thinking ahead to GS which is also on DAW2 and not clearly seeing how that would work with Teleport.
    Hi Joanne, thats exactly right, you can have as many channels as your slave machine will allow. For example, if you load up two Kontakt interfaces on your slave, 2 x 16 channels will show up in your Cubase mixer, both midi and audio.

There's also an option to get the Giga VST adapter that somehow wraps Gigastudio and lets you open it up as a VST on a slave machine, havent done this myself, perhaps check out; www.fx-max.com for more details there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Also - not sure if I told you how helpful the conf call was a few months ago. I believe you and Doug concluded I wasn't seeing something i should have been seeing and once we applied an RME patch, it showed up and I was able to get four separate audio channels going from Daw2 to Daw1 for GS.

Joanne
    Glad to hear it worked out!
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Thanks everyone

Go Back to forum