• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jazz trumpet

Share/Bookmark

Jazz trumpet

Here is a new tune, played with my selfmade trumpet.

http://www.wizardmedia.de/trumpet/TrumpDirtyNotes.mp3

I thought I was ready but the sound was too clean.
    So I recorded about 800 new "Dirty Notes" to make it sound more realistic.
    Now there are 5.444 Samples, still in one preset with 40 keychanges,
    plus the "Blow out the water" Sound for Bruce.

Here is a trumpetsolo version:
    http://www.wizardmedia.de/trumpet/Tr...yNotesSolo.mp3

Chris Hein

Re: Jazz trumpet

Hey Chis,

that sounds really, really nice.

Congrats on all your hard work,

Rob

Cool Re: Jazz trumpet

Wow,
    Are you thinking of selling this trumpet? count me in when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Here is a new tune, played with my selfmade trumpet.

http://www.wizardmedia.de/trumpet/TrumpDirtyNotes.mp3

I thought I was ready but the sound was too clean.
    So I recorded about 800 new "Dirty Notes" to make it sound more realistic.
    Now there are 5.444 Samples, still in one preset with 40 keychanges,
    plus the "Blow out the water" Sound for Bruce.

Here is a trumpetsolo version:
    http://www.wizardmedia.de/trumpet/Tr...yNotesSolo.mp3

Chris Hein

Chris,

sounds nice..I think the sound needs to be fattened so that the syntheness can be minimized. BTW, I gave you a few Midi Format 1 files but never heard from you..(you did request them..check back in your E-mail history..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Congratulations Chris, for your work !
    The solo version, totally exposed, speaks for the quality of this sampled instrument.
    Yes, it's not the real thing, and I suppose it will probably not fool Bruce and some other brass/wind experts we may have here, but at my humble level of expertise, I'd be more than pleased to get such a "homemade" instrument into my PC.....
    And I'm sure that 75% of "average" listeners would be fooled by it anyway.
    How are your trombones and saxes going BTW ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Russell
    Chris,
    sounds nice..I think the sound needs to be fattened so that the syntheness can be minimized.
    Alan, by "fatten" do you mean EQ adjustments to give it more bottom end? If so, then I agree -- the trumpet track is mixed a little thin to my ears, which is likely taking away from overall quality of the samples. Also, I think the choice of reverb is attributing the trumpet a high-frequency "tinniness", which isn't helping.

Chris, would you mind posting the same solo without any reverb or other processing?

Also, on the full track, I'd play with a low pass filter between 10KHz and 15KHz, and maybe a very wide parametric EQ boost of about 3dB between 150Hz and 2KHz to bring the fundamental range of the instrument up in the mix and compensate for the high-end roll off.

Other than that, I hear a lot of promise for a sampled instrument. Good job.

I like the tune and I applaud the effort. It sounds like you've got a lot of samples to choose from and I can't even imagine how much effort it must have taken to piece together a performance like that, but unfortunately it sounds just like that... a stiched together string of samples. I think this sample set would probably sound better in a less virtuostic piece, maybe in an ensemble it would actually be very convincing but in this exposed lead scenario it just sounds like a keyboardist ripping through a bunch of samples.
    Cheers,
    Jamey

pfrlrlrl - ok!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If these are easily performable articulations, I think one could do some pretty convincing section work with these samples. They're nice. If you just isolated some of the areas where things are really working, you'd fall for it. For sure, this is a nice variety of articulations from a player who has a nice style and tone.

The flutter tongue isn't working for me in the second pass through the head, but that's just me. The only places I thought it got off track other than that is in the latter 2/3 somewhere, in the vicinity of those triplets up to Bb...there and a bit after that, the note lengths go a bit long and connected for that kind of figure. I concur with Jamey that this must have been a bunch of work. If it was not, and this was played in straight note for note, then !!!!!!

Wow! Great work, Chris! I'm impressed! (Of course, I'm a nobody - but I'm STILL impressed! )

Mark McDowell

Go Back to forum