• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A very big project!

Share/Bookmark

A very big project!

Hi guys,

I have a very cool idea, but i do not know if it's legal.

If i rip a scene from a dvd, i mute the original sound, and i compose some music for it, and i post it on the internet, is that legal?

Re: A very big project!

The word rip sends up a red-flag right away.

To err on the safe side, if you're dealing with copyrighted material--in this case the visual representation of a film, then to tamper with it/use it in anyway would be illegal unless you have express written permission from the parties responsible.

Best,
    Ric
    The little voices in my head are singing four-part harmony.

Thanks for the information! I always ask before i do something, because i don't like illegal stuff.

If you bought the movie, do what you will with in in your own home. Mute it and make funny voices over it. Play it backwards. Play it fast forwards and play ragtime along with it. Cover it in cooking oil and light it on fire.

But once you've published it, you've crossed the line, unless it is within fair use (your example isn't), or if you are doing an original parody of it.

Copyrights limit publishing, not consumption.

-JF

If you just post the music, though, without the video, you should be OK, as long as the music is original. Was that what you were asking?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I also have a similiar question.

I'm rewriting a peice origionally for concert band and rewriting it for full orchestra. Would it be legal to put it on my site and post it here? I'm changing a lot of stuff, so I can't say I'm transcribing it, but I'm more of rewriting it.

Would that be legal?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas

I'm rewriting a peice origionally for concert band and rewriting it for full orchestra. Would it be legal to put it on my site and post it here? I'm changing a lot of stuff, so I can't say I'm transcribing it, but I'm more of rewriting it.

Would that be legal?

-Chris
    Chris - you seem to be ARRANGING it more than anything - if you are merley changing instrumentation, you need to get permission - as it is someone's hard worked out arrangement. But if you are adapting that arrangement and changing it enough to be your own - AND changing the instrumentation, you SHOULD be fine. As long as your arrangement doesn't parallel the other one too much, you should be fine.

But it is ALWAYS best to get permission if doubt is there.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.B
    If i rip a scene from a dvd, i mute the original sound, and i compose some music for it, and i post it on the internet, is that legal?
    If you post the video, it's a copyright violation since it's not your stuff. Don't do it. RIAA and the motion picture equivalent (MPAA?) are on the warpath, and it's unwise to make yourself a conspicuous target.

That being said, here's a creative way to accomplish the same thing in a perfectly legal, and ethical, manner (the two are not always synonymous)...

Compose the original music you mentioned. Post it on the Internet and promote it as "music to watch movies by". On your main page, tell people to mute the video, start your mp3 and the video playback at the same time, and enjoy. If they need a point of reference to this kind of activity, refer to the old legend that if you play Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in sync with "The Wizard of Oz" that the music lines up with the scenes.

If you provide a few free downloads of this sort and the concept proves popular, you might even be able to move to selling your music on CDs and making a profit, which is cool since everybody wins (a fundamental concept I always promote in my consulting work) - not only does it not violate copyright laws since you're not ripping or distributing someone else's movies, it actually helps promote sales of the movie through the additional publicity you generate.

Of course, it's always a good idea to consult with an attorney to verify the legal aspects of any venture. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't even play one on TV. Although you're free to be inspired by whatever you like when you compose, once you start referring to property owned by other people, there may be considerations in terms of how to properly go about things. Always better to be safe than sorry. However, I think if you use common sense and go about it in the right way, "music to watch movies by" could be a fun, legal and popular concept.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

As instructive and necessary it is for you to score work prints, I doubt it's going to make that much difference in terms of getting work if you post AV samples online. I would keep it simple and post some REALLY outstanding MP3 cues, and restrict it to only a few for each genre. No one in the biz is going to sit there all day listening or watching your ques online. If they are, then they probably aren't serious or don't have a job...and you come off a bit unprofessional and vain for associating your music to a major film that you never worked on.

As for arranging, you should seek permission. You are theoretically creating a derivitive work, which is OK to do without permission; however, there is a publishing angle and the original publisher/creator need$ a cut which is relatively high without an agreement...thats all i remember from my Music Biz class..

Cool Re: A very big project!

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas

Would that be legal?

-Chris
    Hi Chris,

It sounds like you are planning a derivative work based on the original piece (which I assume you didn't write). "Derivative work" is defined in the copyright statute at 17 USC §101:
    "A 'derivative work' is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a 'derivative work'."

§106(2) gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to make derivative works.

The short answer: get permission first. Contact the copyright owner, and explain what you want to do, including whether the product would be published, performed, etc. Typically, you'll either get a letter granting permission, or an agreement under which you agree to pay royalties on any sales, possibly a license fee, and possibly requiring that you assign ownership of your derivative work to the copyright holder.

Enjoy!

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Go Back to forum