• Register
  • Help

Topic: Guide to midi orchestration by Paul Gilreath's

Share/Bookmark

Question Guide to midi orchestration by Paul Gilreath's

Hello. I have seen this book in a website. It seems good, but I don't know if the book worths (60€). Has somebody read this book? I wait for your opinions. Thanks in advance!!
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Re: Guide to midi orchestration by Paul Gilreath's

Do a search with "Gilreath" and you'll find several threads about the book.

Talking Re: Guide to midi orchestration by Paul Gilreath's

I see !!! Thanks janila
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

I have it! it is an interesting book but maybe the price is not very fair! it is a kind of old right now! all the Samples he mentions are kind of old now.
    It has some interesting hints, like how to sequence Brass, Strings, Woodwinds...
    It depends upon your budget! if you need more information please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by calangoman
    I have it! it is an interesting book but maybe the price is not very fair! it is a kind of old right now! all the Samples he mentions are kind of old now.
    It has some interesting hints, like how to sequence Brass, Strings, Woodwinds...
    It depends upon your budget! if you need more information please let me know!
    hey calangoman,

an updated revision was just released in the last year or so. i would best describe it as an "exhaustive" exploration of contemporary midi orchestration.

it really starts from square one too, so it would be an excellent resource for anyone who is just starting out. i sure wish i had this book and these great libraries available then (curse you miroslav mini!-biggest waste of my money EVER).

a lot of the book will be review for anyone with a fair amount of experience tho, but there's still lots of good stuff!

cheers,
    john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

I found it very helpful for the MIDI/Sampling end of orchestration. A little light on orchestration concepts.

Peace

Rik

I have it, but I haven't read the whole thing. I agree with rikp on the midi/sampling thing. Very helpful. But maybe a little short on the orchestration. But then again there is tons of other books on that subject.

-Ranietz-

Go Back to forum