• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please help a noob get up and running

Share/Bookmark

Red face Please help a noob get up and running

I bought GS3 Orchestra a couple days ago from my local Musician's Friend. I came home and read over the documentation, and, I thought, followed the installation instructions carefully. Thing is, (and keep in mind that I'm a complete noob when it comes to both Giga AND sampling/sequencing) I never came across anything that told me when to insert all the "Content DVDs". I installed the program from the App disc, and I saw the onscreen choice of "Install GS3 Orchestra" and "Install Content", so I clicked on "Install Content" and it told me I needed to Browse for the content to install. Well, maybe I'm just a blockhead, but, how am I supposed to browse for the 5 DVDs of content to install, when I've got this App disc in the drive?

Well, I then thought that perhaps everybody just *Knows* that you're supposed to copy/paste all the content folders from the DVDs to your drive somewhere... Anyway, after I copied/pasted everything from the first three [content] discs (into the Tascam/Gigs folder), all of the instruments eventually showed up as choices in GS3, and I could play them from my keyboard, so, I thought I was in the clear; but, am I missing something, like, do these files have to be somehow Officially Installed or Activated by the App disc to function fully? If so, I sure don't see any of this "copy/paste, then Activate" info in the manual's setup section. It just says "you can install the content now, or later". Well that's a fat lot of help.

I'd really appreciate your bringing me up to speed on this. I'm going to hold off doing anything with the Vienna Giga Symphony discs, 'til I get your insights. Thanks.

Beanie (Vice President in charge of Asking Dumb Questions)

----------------------

Pentium IV, 2.66 GHz, XP Pro (SP2), 1 G RAM, M-Audio Audiophile 192, Korg Triton, Sonar 4 (SE), GS3 Orchestra, (soon Stylus RMX + expanders, Atmosphere, RealGuitar, Amps & Pickups 1, Drums On Demand [24-bit WAV / REX2 version, to be brought into RMX if needed]... and 4 years' worth of songs, melodies and riffs to be laid down onto tracks as soon as I can get past all this initial technical setup crap...)

Re: Please help a noob get up and running

Hi Beanie,
    No dumb questions asked there at all.

First a few questions from us here.
    Do you have a second hard drive for samples either inside this computer or an external hard drive?

Gigastudio (the program itself) needs to be on your main "C" drive, and all of your samples need to be on a second drive. Gigastudio can get very frustrated and confused if the hard drive that it is residing on has to simultaneously stream samples from it.

I don't always check this portion of the forum, but if you need to ask me a specific question I am always hanging out on the Garritan forum.
    I have only had GS3 Orchestra for about 5-6 months, and I am really not a very good helper in this area, but feel free to continue to post your questions here because there are alot of folks that know a whole lot more here than I do about Gigastudio.

JonFairhusrt and Bruce Richardson are two great helpers that come to mind.

Have a great weekend Beanie and welcome to Gigaland!

dpDan

Thanks for the response. Yes, I've got a second separate hard drive in this computer (which was used mostly for storing large avi video files for Adobe Premiere). When the App disc installed the actual GS3 program, it automatically sensed that other drive and asked me to confirm that I wanted the three instruments on that disc (MegaPiano, GigaPiano II, GP II Lite) to be placed there (on my big D drive) under D:Tascam/Gigs. So I'm assuming I'm just supposed to copy/paste the other DVDs' contents there too(?) I know it seems like such a simple thing, but, I've never installed a library of this sort before, and when you've got no experience doing something it's easy to make erroneous assumptions.

Btw, I've still got about 80 gigs of space left on the D drive, after copying the instruments from the first three Content DVDs there, so, space won't be an issue. But yeah, I'm still wondering if copying/pasting is all there is to it. If so, fine. I just need a confirmation though. Thanks again.

- Beanie

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie
    But yeah, I'm still wondering if copying/pasting is all there is to it. If so, fine. I just need a confirmation though. Thanks again.

- Beanie
    Hi!
    Yes, that is all there is too it! Then you will want to update your GS3 library database. With GS3 open, click: File/GigaStudio Settings/QuickSound tab/ Rebuild Quicksound database now.

Then buy some Gig libraries to gobble up some of that empty HDD space

Enjoy!

Thumbs up Re: Please help a noob get up and running

Excellent! That's just what I wanted to hear. Thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to route these sounds into Sonar 4. I suspect I'll be venturing into "VST Wrapper" territory, which scares me - I'm so green at this, I haven't yet even grasped the difference between a VSTi and a DXi - I'm trying to learn MIDI basics, GS3, Sonar, and Stylus RMX all at the same time...

But, I'll be looking through the GS3 and Sonar manuals. In the meantime though, feel free to let me know how it's done, if it's just a matter of clicking *this*, enabling *that*, and unchecking *such-and-such*...

Thanks again.

- Beanie

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie
    I haven't yet even grasped the difference between a VSTi and a DXi
    Diddo on that.
    What is the difference? Besides the fact that DXi is outdated and more unstable than VSTi. I know DXi's go streight to an audio track rather than a dedicated DXi mixer, but other than that how does DXi differ from VSTi?

Sorry to go a bit OT. I just had to ask.

-Chris

I'm kind of new to giga myself but I play around with vsti's quite a bit. Giga won't run as a vsti. It has to be routed into sonar via rewire. I think there is a chapter in the manual on how to rewire giga into sonar....and cubase...etc etc. I don't use sonar (I have cubase sx) so I haven't read that particular section.
    ASUS P4C800-E motherboard, pentium4 3.2 ghz, 2gigs ram, ATI X1600pro, RME hdsp9632, 120gig maxtor system drive, 250gig SATA150 maxtor audio drive, 250gig SATA150 sample drive, Roland A-37 midi controller keyboard, Cubase 4, Gigastudio3 orchestra, FLstudio5, Reason3, Atmosphere, Ivory, EWQLSO gold xp and choirs

Go Back to forum