• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Acid straight to RMX conversions?

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Acid straight to RMX conversions?

Anyone know what is the best utility to convert acidized files into RMX?

If so do they play back identical both in groove and slice mode in RMX?

Thanks,

John

Re: Acid straight to RMX conversions?

Same answers from this thread apply:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35323

spectrum

Acidize files aren't suitable for direct import into RMX. But, you can use Propellerheads Recycle to make a REX file from an Acidized file, then use the SAGE Importer to import the REX file into RMX.

- Glenn

Question Re: Acid straight to RMX conversions?

Ok, then my next assumption is Spectrasonics is working on a direct import batch converter, right?

I can't see myself spending the rest of eternity converting my loops one by one. Unless there is something in recycle I am missing?

There has got to be an easier way!

Perhaps propeller has plans for such?

Thanks again,

John

[QUOTE=John Eastman]Ok, then my next assumption is Spectrasonics is working on a direct import batch converter, right?

I can't see myself spending the rest of eternity converting my loops one by one. Unless there is something in recycle I am missing?

There has got to be an easier way!

There isn't an easier way.
    I don't think a batch convertor would work.
    With my limited experience with ReCycle, you have to go and listen to the loop and make decisions about slice placement and stretch amounts to get musical results. Some drum loops are easy, they have well defined transients
    and a short decay. With sustained sounds like a ride cymbal and it gets a little tricky. If you have pitched instruments like a bass, many times the waveform is constant and you made need to place the slice markers by ear and play it, speed it up and slow it down and adjust the stretch amout.
    You have to fine tune it to get a good result.
    Sooooooo... that is why a batch covertor might not work.

Maybe you could throw a broke college student a few bucks and a pizza to do some of the grunt work

Quote Originally Posted by martyfrasu
    There isn't an easier way.
    I don't think a batch convertor would work.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is right (which is to say I'm POSITIVE it is right).

It's great that RMX lets us import external loops -- BUT, the "cost" is that they need to be Recycled. There are TONS of REX files out there to use, and those "pre-made" REX files import easily. BUT, if you have to Recycle the loops yourself, it does take time, and maybe even more than that, it takes a bit of SKILL (in my opinion). Not all loops will really "work" Recycled, frankly speaking (for the reasons which MartyFrasu has pointed out).

So a batch converter just won't work.

I mean, geez -- I am working on an old loops CD I bought years ago, trying to get it converted (Recycled) for use in RMX. I find it takes me at least 2 or 3 minutes on EVERY LOOP, and sometimes even THEN I just end up realizing, "Oh, well, this one isn't gonna work so hot" and I ditch it.

BUT DUDE, here's the thing -- on the ones that DO work, and that I can get nice clean slices in Recycle -- man, it's AWESOME to have those loops in RMX!!! It's like I've got my own little "SAGE Expander" thing -- you know?

I just LOVE it...

SO I hope you don't get too disappointed if it's not exactly like you hoped for, with some kind of "automatic conversion" to import wav's and acid loops into RMX -- but I would suggest maybe you do like I do -- I just keep my old loops CD's sitting next to my computer, and three or four times a week I'll spend 15 or 20 minutes converting a few loops... Should have quite a bit done after a few months! And being able to load those things up with RMX's effects and CHAOS!!! It's worth it to me...

Well said!

The time spent is really worth it. Although you can't get your old non-REX libraries "instantly" converted, you can still do it and the results of each loop that gets converted is that you can then do so many cool things with them in RMX.

Thumbs up Re: Acid straight to RMX conversions?

Thanks for the replies, yes I can see now that I have tried out recycle exactly what you are talking about. It still does stand to reason (no pun intended) that "acidized" files already have the split and tempo information built right into them. It's sad that probably because of copywrite infringement recycle isn't able to automatically read those and proceed from there. Anyway, I do now have further understanding of the "reasoning" behind what's really going on here.

By the way, just want to say thanks for much for such an awesome product!

And just one more thing, a suggestion for a new expansion. A nice clean acoustic drums kit, let's say one that spans all 61 keys. The drumkit could be then divided up into let's say 10 or 20 different tempo's but with the exact same beats. This way they would stay clean and the only stretching needed would be like a range of 10 beats or so. The 61 keys would cover just about every lick imaginable. Some just high hats, some just cymbals, etc. This one expansion set would therefore be sole based on this one kit, but this kit would totally rock!

What do you think? Am I dreaming over here? Maybe I will just have to buy someone elses and convert it myself, (sigh). But don't you think this could be a big seller?

Regards,

John

Lightbulb Re: Acid straight to RMX conversions?

OR.... maybe people who have already done this can make a deal with you guys to re-release in Sage format?

You can even be the ones to initiate the deal? Sounds like win win to me..

So what's the catch?

Ok, enough for now.

Thanks again,

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Eastman
    It still does stand to reason (no pun intended) that "acidized" files already have the split and tempo information built right into them.
    Just "for the record" I do not think that acidized files contain any split info... just maybe pitch and/or tempo and/or number-of-beats info.

Acid is actually STRETCHING the audio exclusively -- I mean, it stretches the WHOLE FILE as one solid piece -- there are no "splits" or separate hits in the file at all. So those files that are "acidized", strictly speaking, are really no different from a straight .wav file of the loop. The term "acidized" just means that the number of beats and the original pitch (and that kind of thing) is already stored in the "header" of the file, so Acid doesn't have to be told everytime "this is a 4/4 loop that lasts 8 beats"...

And THAT is why we can't have the "auto" convert you and I would love to have...

I hope I got all that right!

Go Back to forum