• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Keyboard w/ Mod Wheel needed?

Share/Bookmark

Re: A New Cello Concerto - by Thomas Penders

hey guys I didn't want to start a whole different thread for this so I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I just have a question about the mod wheel, how is it possible to use this feature without a keyboard that has a mod wheel? Is it possible to assign the mod wheel function to other things such as the mouse wheel on my mouse? Thanks.

By the way I ordered GPO, thanks Gary, I ordered yesterday, can anyone estimate how long til it arrives? I'm in NYC

Re: Keyboard w/ Mod Wheel needed?

oh thanks, who did that for me, moderator? thank you lol

Quote Originally Posted by requiem_aeternam7
    -----------------

-----------------

Hi, I don't know exactly what keyboard you have, but some keyboards have assignable sliders/knobs that you could assign mod wheel (C1) control to. If not, your main option is foregoing real-time mod wheel/volume control and graphically draw in mod wheel data yourself after playing in your parts. If you are using a sequencer or Overture SE (for notation input), you can put in mod wheel control very easily after the fact.

I have two keyboards, one with 88 keys but no mod wheel and one with 49 keys and a mod wheel. To be quite honest, I tend to use the non-mod wheel keyboard more often for input and put the mod wheel data in later.

If you do this, just remember to give the "virtual" mod wheel in the GPO player a jog before entering notes - otherwise you won't hear anything.

I rarely use the actual mod wheel on my keyboard, preferring to enter it manually. On some lyrical solo lines I will definitely use it, but I almost always edit the data in Sonar later anyway.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

well I do have a keyboard with a mod wheel and worst comes to worst I can hook it up and use that but it's really not a good idea with the particular room/space I'm working in now so ...my keyboard doesn't have any knobs or sliders, is there any other thing I can assign the mod wheel function to such as the mouse wheel? If not then, is it possible to change the modwheel data manually like you guys said but without using sonar/cubasis/overture because the gpo group buy doesn't come with those, can you manipulate mod wheel just in the GPO program itself or will I have to hook up that 66 key keyboard of mine

Lightbulb Re: Keyboard w/ Mod Wheel needed?

well I do have a keyboard with a mod wheel and worst comes to worst I can hook it up and use that but it's really not a good idea with the particular room/space I'm working in now so ...my keyboard doesn't have any knobs or sliders, is there any other thing I can assign the mod wheel function to such as the mouse wheel? If not then, is it possible to change the modwheel data manually like you guys said but without using sonar/cubasis/overture because the gpo group buy doesn't come with those, can you manipulate mod wheel just in the GPO program itself or will I have to hook up that 66 key keyboard of mine
    You might check this out from Marklefords site:

Controlta
    I get a lot of requests for solutions from Garritan Personal Orchestra users who don't have a Mod Wheel on their keyboard, which is essential for getting the best dynamic performance from GPO. Okay, I get the message: finally, I'm getting down to brass tacks here! TenCrazy.com Controlta is a virtual control surface that allows you to send MIDI Continuous Controller messages by mouse position

http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/utils/

TcUtilControlta05.zip

Michael

I just want to check in here. Your last post stated that you wouldn't be using Cubasis or Sonar or Overture. Are you intending to play only live with no recording at all? Please note that GPO by itself won't be able to permanently store or "record" you performance. You will need some sort of sequencer or notation program. GPO is strictly a playback medium and does not have the capacity itself of storing performances.

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    I just want to check in here. Your last post stated that you wouldn't be using Cubasis or Sonar or Overture. Are you intending to play only live with no recording at all? Please note that GPO by itself won't be able to permanently store or "record" you performance. You will need some sort of sequencer or notation program. GPO is strictly a playback medium and does not have the capacity itself of storing performances.

Yes I have noteworthy composer and can get my hands on Sibelius

Go Back to forum