• Register
  • Help

Topic: PC Memory Bottleneck? You Decide!

Share/Bookmark

Question PC Memory Bottleneck? You Decide!

Here's my ride:

Software: Geniesoft Overture 3.6.1 and GPO
    P4 2.4 GHz with 600MHz FSB
    1.5 GB DDR Memory with 333MHz Bus Speed
    Western Digital Hard Drive 7200RPM with Ultra DMA enabled
    SoundBlaster Live Audigy (original Audigy card)
    All hardware and software is updated and is fully compatible with Windows XP.

Now here's my problem:

I get uneven playback in Overture using GPO(slow down, speed up, slow down, etc.). I have disabled all nonessential Windows Services in the MSConfig panel. I always turn off my anti-virus software(Norton Anti-Virus) and memory management software(RAMPage). All buffers are set to 512. Same problem with buffers set to 256, 64, etc. I am also using ASIO drivers in GPO. Some other available drivers work too, but still uneven playback.

Have I done everything a wretched soul like myself can do to improve playback, and is 333MHz fast enough memory?

Re: PC Memory Bottleneck? You Decide!

Are you using Soundblasters ASIO drivers (or do they even have ASIO?) If so, try ASIO4ALL. Google for them. They are fairly good ASIO drivers and work with most hardware (Soundblaster especially.) If was going to narrow it down, I'd rule out the sound card first. Soundblasters aren't the best soundcards to use with these programs.

Joseph,

There are SoundBlaster ASIO drivers. I've got 2 sets for my Audigy 2 ZS card plus a set from Creative (same company - different names ).

But Studio does seem to perform better with the ASIO Multimedia drivers or even SB's Directsound drivers. Odd really, because the SB and Creative ASIO drivers work fine with the stand-alone player.

I tried that too. Does my memory look like IT may be the problem? Again, my memory has a bus speed of 333MHz. Do you think an upgrade to 400MHz will help? Maybe a better sound card? I'm open too all options.

Its not the memory speed.

If you'd like I can take a look at an example file if you can send one that is giving you trouble. I will look at it here and see if it plays back alright.

By the way, do you have the latest Overture SE update?

Quote Originally Posted by danny7
    Here's my ride:

P4 2.4 GHz with 600MHz FSB

Have I done everything a wretched soul like myself can do to improve playback, and is 333MHz fast enough memory?
    I didn't know Intel had a 600FSB? They usually have a 533 and an 800. If you want to improve your playback, I'd try another card like the AP2496.

Question Re: PC Memory Bottleneck? You Decide!

I'll send you a sample file as soon as I can figure out how to send it from this forum page. Every time I try I get the error message "You have no attachments."

Also, I have Overture 3.6.1 as opposed to Overture SE.

Go Back to forum