• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 'BRASS' from Arturia: Solo Trumpet Demo

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation 'BRASS' from Arturia: Solo Trumpet Demo

They have a solo trumpet demo up HERE.

Hmmm, so what da'ya think?

Well, part of it is bad, but part is good though...

Re: 'BRASS' from Arturia: Solo Trumpet Demo

I think they should release the demo completely dry (no reverb).

Agreed on both counts!

But definitely towards the right path, and much better than the last demo.

The weird thing about this one is that sometimes it sounds they're "borrowing" aspects of a flute physical model!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Not too bad....sounds like a sample of a guy that's not having the best day of his life chops-wise however. Also the vibrato at the end of the 1st phrase is way faster and wider than a real player would probably play. I agree there are aspects of it that sound sort of flute-like. If I had played this for real I'd probably go for another take, but that's just me.

Being a trumpet player, I'm glad to hear this latest demo as it appears to me that the trumpet is still one the hardest instruments to emulate.

The runs sound as if they're played on the keyboard, the vibrato is totally wrong, and the consistent fuzzy attacks don't work for me. I'm sure in a mix you can pull off a note or phrase here and there, but overall, I'm thinking most of my jobs are still safe.

Tim

As a former professional trombonist, I can say that they've definitely come a long way. This is much better than any sample I've heard. The programmability should allow for a great deal of control and subtlety over the sound. I agree that there's too much spit in the sound, and I also think that some of the longer held notes would start the vibrato a bit later - but then again, when you're only comparing it to a live player and you're no longer even considering it against sampled libraries - you know you're dealing with an approximation that's an order of magnitude closer to the real thing.

They're not only dealing with a totally different sound generation method compared to sampling, they're dealing with a totally new method of physical modeling. They're not using waveguide modeling, so it's still a work in progress. Considering the ground they've covered since the first demo, the future seems bright for this product and its new underlying technologies.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

It starts out sounding like a DX7 but improves rapidly. You can really hear the "metal" resonating in places. This is probably a damn hard virtual instrument to master, but it's looking like there is potential there...

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    They're not only dealing with a totally different sound generation method compared to sampling, they're dealing with a totally new method of physical modeling. They're not using waveguide modeling, so it's still a work in progress.
    Really?

Because it sounds almost exactly the same as the Yamaha VL-series stuff. Same strengths and weaknesses.

What's so different about their modeling compared to how Yamaha does it?

spectrum

I think it's pretty good compared to anything else available.

Can anyone point to a more realistic sounding sampled trumpet playing solo that covers the same kind of articulations?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

As a former professional duck call champion and consumer of spirited beverages, I think you are all nuts. (insert smiley with fluffy stuffing here).

It is hard to tell much. No information about the input device, or what kind of playing control was being engaged. It moved from note to note well. I actually disagree a bit about the runs--they sound realistic, to me, not keyboard-y. That's the kind of thing I'd play on something like Up Jumped Spring, or another Freddie-style thing. In fact, it sounds as it their "concept player" might have been Freddie (Hubbard). The tongued notes were good attacks. The vibrato, no--and definitely not Freddie-like. The basic sound was anemic and unfocused, like that of someone who'd been bashed in the mouth in a fistfight, or who had been off the horn for a couple of years. I hear what was being described as an almost flute-like sound in a couple of brief instants. In a couple of other places, it drifted towards an almost Eddie Harris kind of sound (Eddie famously used to play a trumpet with a sax mouthpiece affixed to the leadpipe).

It is interesting enough. No one is going to have an easy time of modeling a trumpet. Hell, the real thing is hard enough to play.

Eric's reference to the VL series is interesting. Wonder if there was a wind-controller being used...to me, it sounds as if not, which might explain some of the more anemic tone qualities. If you were inputting with a keyboard and struck a velocity which produced that intensity, without having the wind control to move it to something else, you could easily get stuck on a sound you really wouldn't want to sustain. Same thing on the horn--it's not that you attack every note perfectly, but that you're engaged in a realitme control situation and you'd move to increase the airflow, change the vibrato, do something to move the sound into a more interesting space.

And probably with this technology, like the VL series, if you're not using some kind of wind controller, you'd be missing most of the musical potential. There is simply too strained a relationship between the modeled instrument and input device--continually blown pipe vs. percussive.

Go Back to forum