• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: a little web testing help?

Share/Bookmark

OT: a little web testing help?

Hey, guys.

Finally got the initial cut of the new company site finished and up Friday afternoon (part of the reason for my absence here). I was wondering if I might prevail on some of you to help me out by bringing up the site, poking around, and emailing / PMing me if you see any bugs, broken links, weird cosmetic glitches, etc. No matter how much testing you do, someone else usually finds things that you miss.

Anyway, if you have a little time to browse through the site and report any problems, I'd be extremely grateful. There's so many environments, browsers, etc. out there, it's hard to test it all without help.

Here's the site link:
    www.PracticalStrategyConsulting.com

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: OT: a little web testing help?

Christopher, where were you when I was coding for the County? I had a 3-month project (in a language I knew) that took three years and was not complete becasue they decided to mandate a different language, so the non-programmers in the County could take our custom-built apps and 'modify them to suit their needs,' even though that was our task in the first place... Among other such idiodicies. And these were good folks, and a good place to work, generally.

But using Firefox, on the Unite the Tribes page where you download the pdf, RightClick and Save Link As generates a dialog box "The link could not be saved. The web page might have been removed or had its name changed." But select "Open in new Window" and it's fine - this could be a Firefox issue, I find lots of little items like that.

I couldn't get much farther at this time, I was reading the chapter - you have definitely hit the nail on the (manager's) thumb... I had an interview with one of those sweat shops - turned them down, and a month later was playing music there for twice the hourly rate...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Thumbs up Re: OT: a little web testing help?

There was not much I could do probably due to the schools firewall and other precautionary methods to ensure minimal abuse of our system.
    I did get to the home page and was very impressed with its clean, intelligent, and intuitive layout! Easy on the eye and easy to read through in an order one can easily scan for important information!
    Can't wait to get home and bring it up to page through.
    Styxx

Thanks, guys!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    But using Firefox, on the Unite the Tribes page where you download the pdf, RightClick and Save Link As generates a dialog box "The link could not be saved. The web page might have been removed or had its name changed." But select "Open in new Window" and it's fine - this could be a Firefox issue, I find lots of little items like that.
    Christopher,

I took about a ten minute tour using Opera (ver 7.2.3) and everything looked and worked fine. The issue reported above by SoundSmith did NOT occur with Opera; everything downloaded fine.

I didn't check out all the links, but the ones I clicked worked fine...one of them landed me on the showprogramming site and the "Email this page to a friend" feature from there sent me an email with a link in the time it took me to get over to my mail app.

Nice site...I'll be back later to read some of your articles.
    Good luck!

:-)
    Jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Thumbs up Re: OT: a little web testing help?

I have to say this is a beautifully constructed website! Very out of the norm Chris!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    ...one of them landed me on the showprogramming site and the "Email this page to a friend" feature from there sent me an email with a link in the time it took me to get over to my mail app.
    Thanks, Jim.

I couldn't find the link that you're describing that shot you over to showprogramming.com - if you could tell me which page it's on it would help a lot.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I have to say this is a beautifully constructed website! Very out of the norm Chris!
    Thanks, man!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Thanks, Jim.

I couldn't find the link that you're describing that shot you over to showprogramming.com - if you could tell me which page it's on it would help a lot.
    Christopher,

1) Start at => http://www.practicalstrategyconsulti.../Products.aspx

2) Click on "Order Free Copy" of "Unite the Tribes" which will take you to=> http://www.showprogramming.com/store...ES%20COMPANION

3)Click "Email Page" button and a screen comes up for you to enter a couple of email addesses.

I think everything is working properly since it sent me a link to the page, but I didn't go all the way thru the "Add to Cart" routine.

Jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Thanks, that makes sense. I use our Show Programming ecommerce system for both web sites.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum