• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Technology allows Late Great Masters to Perform Again

Share/Bookmark

New Technology allows Late Great Masters to Perform Again

Last April, we reported about digital performances by two piano virtuosi both of whom have long been dead (see: Concert from Beyond the Grave - R.I.P.) It seems others are dying to do the same thing .

The New York Times (reg. required) has an article today titled: 'Play It Again, Vladimir (via Computer)' that discusses a process of transforming recordings of deceased masters into new, computer enhanced performances, The computer would analyze how the viruoso made the sounds and emulate it. The process also analyzes the 'style' of a performer and play other scores with the same style.

"...a group of leading researchers known as the Machine Learning, Data Mining and Intelligent Music Processing Group are trying to pinpoint just what it is that fools the ear. Led by Gerhard Widmer, they are looking at everything from improving the way computers "hear" music to isolating the elements of individual performance style, as well as creating graphs and animations to illustrate different pianists' interpretations of the same passage of music."

"The technology, in short, is still in its infancy. But Dr. Walker is animated by his vision of the future. Like other scientists - including Dr. Goebl in Vienna, another serious classical musician - he envisions a future of interactive recordings. "We've been trained that a recording is a frozen document," he said. "Why can't it be like a video game - every time you hear a recorded performance it's different?"

Interactive recordings where everytime you hear a recorded performance it is different! Kind of like having GPO VAR controls on your recordings. Interesting stuff!

Gary Garritan

Re: New Technology allows Late Great Masters to Perform Again

So can we expect a "Vladimir Horowitz" variation feature in GPO Advanced?

I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Funny...I was thinking about this today while I was driving, hearing alfred brendel playing beethoven over my radio.

I was wondering that if I could record him playing on a MIDI keyboard, could I use a computer program to figure out some non linear equation for capturing velocity changes over time, and then apply that algorithm against other pieces?

Obviously, its going to be a different technique for different styles -- bach vs Debussy etc...

I remember when I was doing my a-levels we got into analysing some Rachmaninov piano stuff and somebody had a CD of the Ampico piano-roll recordings that Rach had made (and personally approved as an accurate recordig of his performance). Really cool to hear.
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    I remember when I was doing my a-levels we got into analysing some Rachmaninov piano stuff and somebody had a CD of the Ampico piano-roll recordings that Rach had made (and personally approved as an accurate recordig of his performance). Really cool to hear.
    -John
    You can get some of those as MIDI from Kunst der Fuge .

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    You can get some of those as MIDI from Kunst der Fuge .

Ooooooooooooooo thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

-John

Nothing new...

Kenny G has been performing with dead people for years.

Ben H

Go Back to forum