• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX and Digital Performer Questions

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX and Digital Performer Questions

Hi everyone! First time on the board and first time posting, although have been around in the music industry for a LONG time...

Got the latest version of Stylus RMX and Digital Performer and have two questions:

1) How do you guys get around the fact that RMX doesn't just start and stop when the DP transport is started and stopped? What must I do to start the RMX playback every time I start the DP playback and conversely, making RMX stop when DP stops?

2) How do I turn the RMX playback into an audio track? I tried to route the output of the RMX track to a sub-group and then input that group into another audio track, but RMX simply refuses to play.

Thanks for any suggestions with this!

JB

Re: Stylus RMX and Digital Performer Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jbsound
    Hi everyone! First time on the board and first time posting, although have been around in the music industry for a LONG time...

Got the latest version of Stylus RMX and Digital Performer and have two questions:

1) How do you guys get around the fact that RMX doesn't just start and stop when the DP transport is started and stopped? What must I do to start the RMX playback every time I start the DP playback and conversely, making RMX stop when DP stops?
    The play buttons in RMX are just to audition grooves...not to sync with your host. Drag the MIDI file of what you wnat you want to use from RMX and that will then play with all your other tracks.

If you want to audition RMX while playing DP....simply play DP's transport first and then RMX's play buttons or clicking the browser. If you want it to start on the downbeat, you can click RMX's play buttons during the count-off.

Another solution is to MIDI Learn the All Play button in the Footer, which allows you start and stop RMX as a MIDI event or from a MIDI Controller. This in conjunction with the understanding the various trigger modes will get you a lot of different results for different situations.

If RMX were always slaved to the DP transport...loops would ALWAYS begin on bar 1 of your piece...which is pretty boring.

2) How do I turn the RMX playback into an audio track? I tried to route the output of the RMX track to a sub-group and then input that group into another audio track, but RMX simply refuses to play.
    You can just Bounce the track to audio.

DP doesn't yet support multiple outputs for AU plug-ins yet.

Hope that's helpful.

spectrum

Thanks, Eric! This is totally helpful and upon reading your answer, I thought to progress a little further in the video tutorials and guess what? It's right there in the MIDI and Trigger Modes tutorial!

Thanks for going through the work of explaining, and especially for putting the tutorials together.

I promise I'll sit down with all of them first before posting my next questions!

Have a great weekend!

JB

RMX probably isn't refusing to play, JB - DP sometimes (it's inconsistent in my rig, sometimes it plays others it doesn't, usually not) requires youo to record to audio without being able to monitor the RMX instrument track. There are work-arounds, I don't remember them because I send the RMX output to my console and back to another track for auditioning when I'm recording, and I don't use DP's solution. RTFM (DP), it tells you how to do it.

But you'll love it...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum