• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga-Net

Share/Bookmark

Giga-Net

Ok, Folks. I've reinstalled windows twice in the last 48 hours, and both times my tweaks, which caused no problems before, are rendering Window Messenger useless for file transfer. I can reinstall windows, and it works. I can then reinstall GS3, and everything works. I can tweak my sevices and settings, and everything works. Then, last night, in the midst of recieving a video file that I need to deliver a score for ASAP, the transfer stopped, and I couldn't even send an instant message to my client. In my experience so far, this happens AFTER all the changes to my system have passed the test.
    I can still use the internet, just no messenger (not dependably, anyway).
    This is very bad for business. Firewalls have been disabled etc. Can't get ftp working either. All hang-ups are unpredictable, and seemingly random. Iknow when your online, anything can change at any time, but this worked for months with no problems. Can anyone tell me which windows services messenger depends on? Any other considerations?

Help!!!!

I'm considering dual boot, using my sample hard drive for an internet-only setup, and my first drive for Winxp with GS3 and Sonar.

What should I do?? Please don't say, "buy another box". I can't.
    Newmuzikboy!!!! Save me!!!!!!!

Belbin

Re: Giga-Net

you should install a dual boot system or buy another cheap pc for you daily non music stuff.
    Digital AudionetworX

I'm considering dual boot, using my sample hard drive for an internet-only setup, and my first drive for Winxp with GS3 and Sonar.
    Go to the head of the class for the dual boot.
    If at all possible, leave the sample drive alone. Use a third drive.
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Thanks, guys.

right now, I'm trying out the use of two different hardware configurations, as suggested in a relatively recent thread by newmuzikboy. So far so good. I'm assuming that dual boot will come with its own potential perils, so I'm trying to avoid it for now. I have some parts that might make a junky machine for the web it it comes to that......

Belbin

Why not just use email to transfer files, not messenger...

FTP works great here on my Giga system. I can even run it in the background while working in Giga.

- G

Not enough of an e-mail nut to know if I (or my clients) have inboxes big enough for hi res audio/video. My guess is no.

As for FTP, I'll try it on my internet profile. I'm hoping It'll work, but messenger is nice for sending mp3's for the client to audition, then comment on. It was real nice when I had giga, sonar and messenger all running at once, as it meant true dynamic collaboration in basically real-time, but I'm willing to restart if it means more reliabiliy. Funny thing is, when it was all working together, it was on a CELERON!!!

Weird.

Keep the opinions and advice coming if ya got 'em. I wanna lick this thing once and for all.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Thanks, guys.

So far so good. I'm assuming that dual boot will come with its own potential perils,
    Dual boot-> Two separate drives=no perils
    so I'm trying to avoid it for now. I have some parts that might make a junky machine for the web it it comes to that......
    Equally safe, a bit more expensive ....
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Gotta say, guys...I'm likin' this hardware config setup. Wish I could have giga running as I send this, but the plus side is that I can send it at all, and can reboot and use giga in a much more stable and powerful way than before.
    Now if I could only get into Matthias H's brain and get all this paging file stuff where I want it.

Anyone got a URL to a good one-stop shop stop for ram tweaks?

900 megs out 2 gigs. Needs improvement.
    Opus one arrives in the mail sometime next week. Need more RAM!!!!

Belbin

A different solution may be to install Trillian. This IM program is compatible with MSN (Windows Messenger the IM program) as well as ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC. It does file transfers too.

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/learn/
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum