• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jazz drums, Eric?

Share/Bookmark

Jazz drums, Eric?

Tearfully sold my SRX01 this past week. I had long since sold my XV-5080, but hung onto the SRX01 for almost 2 years in case I bought another Roland module or digital piano where I could install it. No such luck, so I figured I'd sell it to someone who could use it.

I know you can't answer questions about upcoming products, Eric, but I'm just curious if there's any contractual restriction with Roland that prevent your releasing them as, say, a S.A.G.E Xpander? I'm not alone in thinking these drums were the best thing since sliced bread, and the jazz drums alone (oh, that sizzle ride...) were worth the full price of the card. There is a huge void in realistic jazz drums (not necessarily brushes) that many of us hope will be filled sometime soon.

Anyway, love your work (have owned the Bass and Drum card and currently use Vocal Planet), and look forward to seeing what you've got coming down the pipeline.

Re: Jazz drums, Eric?

FRIEND, I am SO with you on this!!!

I have posted in numerous places, I have sent e-mails to Spectrasonics -- all practically BEGGING them to release those drums as a VSTi in some way.

I lived in Hong Kong for years, and when I moved to Japan I "lost" all my equipment (I mean I had to sell it -- power/voltage conversion wasn't practical). No biggie, I thought -- I'll finally "go virtual"... No more MIDI modules for me!!

DUDE, I could NOT do it!!! I realized, painfully, (and at the not-insignificant cost of buying several of the latest drum VSTi/sample sets) that I have, to this day, NEVER played any sampled drums that work as well as those on that Roland card.

Let me say it again -- I actually spent thousands of dollars on drum VSTi's -- but ultimately I ended up buying a FantomXR for the SOLE PURPOSE of being able to play those SRX01 Dynamic Drums.

I know some "don't get it" -- they think I must just be a wanker that I can't just use all the other tools out there... but wow -- those SRX01 drums just WORK.

Anyway, Mr. Bozo -- I know I'm preachin' to the choir here -- we are BOTH in agreement that those are some amazing sampled drums!!!

I'll throw my 2 cents in here too! That is one piece of my puzzle that is missing. I do a lot of jazz tracks, and there is nothing out there that really works. Jazz drumming is a hard one to do, but I think Eric is up to the task!

Peace

Rik

Glad you like those. The SRX-01 Roland card is 100% Spectrasonics samples and programming.

All I can say is that we're always listening and we've always got a ton of great things in the works....just gotta wait and see.

The best things take the most time too....:-)

spectrum

Yep, They are really cool drums.....I think the reason I like them is because they fit into a mix without much work....I sampled my favs before pulling the card and selling the S-88....They playback great in Kontakt BTW....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonmusic
    I think the reason I like them is because they fit into a mix without much work....
    THAT is exactly what I'm saying. Those drums just WORK.

It's like, I bought all these drum VSTi's and sample sets about 8 months ago, spent THOUSANDS of dollars ( ) (well, ONE thousand dollars, to be more precise) and yes, I can get some cool sounds from them. Of course I can. They are great products in their own rights... A great bass drum from here, a cool china crash from here... LOTS of cool little pieces on those other things I bought.

BUT, for me, NONE of those even come CLOSE to sounding as good and working as well as the drums on that card....

When I am working fast, and I need to just pull in some drums, it NEVER FAILS that I will go to those SRX01 drums FIRST.

Stylus RMX handles most of my rhythmic "background" loop stuff... but for the "acoustic" drum parts I program myself, I know I can ALWAYS trust those SRX01 drums. They are responsive, there is a nice variety on there, the kits really sound like KITS -- AND, they just fit into the mix with almost no effort.

I don't know how Eric did that -- but wow... I love it... makes my work a LOT easier...

I'm very curious!

Anywhere I can heard those drums in action?

Quote Originally Posted by Nayi
    I'm very curious!

Anywhere I can heard those drums in action?
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/det...01&PageMode=15

best
    Hans

Oh brother...that interactive demo is totally wrong.

Names and patterns are mixed up. They are using Jazz kits with Rock patterns and names, Tight kits are actually huge sounding and visa versa....all of those patch demos are totally off...pretty confusing demo of the product and not a very good representation of what it's capable of.

Oh well....now you why I decided to market my products on my own... :-)

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain
    THAT is exactly what I'm saying. Those drums just WORK.
    I'm with you on this! It's a phenomenal sound set. I've got these 30gig libraries which are not nearly as good and in the end I just seem to use SRX-1 sounds. It somehow responds much more naturally than any other sound set.

It really would be very cool to have these sounds, with ambience mics and separate outputs as a VSTi

Go Back to forum